Search

Is Durban safe?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 07:14 PM
Liz

Is Durban safe?

Hi there - <BR> <BR>First I must say this board is so helpful and informative. <BR> <BR>I am planning a trip to SA for June for 2 weeks (Cape Town, maybe Mala Mala, Garden Route, and Durban). <BR> <BR>However, I can't seem to find too much info. on Durban - we want to be there to watch the surfing competitions. <BR> <BR>Is it safe to walk around during the day? <BR> <BR>We are a young couple and would like to be able to go to a pub or nightclub as well - is this safe to do in Durban? <BR> <BR>Do I also have to worry about my safety on the beach? <BR> <BR>Lastly, can anyone recommend any particular areas to stay in in Durban and hotels? <BR> <BR>Thanks a million!!! Liz

Old Dec 18th, 2000, 10:16 PM
Nigel

Unfortunately the answer is no, Durban is not at all safe to walk around. <BR>Base yourself in either Durban North or Umhlanga Rocks, and then visit Durban by car.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 02:26 PM
xs

Why do people keep asking stupid, ridiculous fucking questions about "safety" in South Africa? If you're that worried about it and so lazy that you can't look up any of the gazillion previous threads on the subject then STAY HOME.

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 06:57 PM
Nigel

Unfortunately the previous poster - who one assumes from his phoney email addess is an ex-South African - only goes to highlight the undercurrent of aggression that exist her in SA and manifests itself in violent crime. <BR>I am a Brit who has been in Southern Africa for the past 3 years, and am always amazed how such a beautiful Country is continually messed up by intolerance, bigotry and just plain stupidity - at least SA is rid of one of them in [email protected] if he is truly an ex South African!

Old Dec 19th, 2000, 08:45 PM
xs

Nigel, please take a bite of my lily white arse. <BR> <BR>There is plenty of homework Ms. Lizzi can do on this site without asking, yet again, such an inane question.

Old Dec 20th, 2000, 05:39 AM
Roger

You know [email protected] - it is one thing to be stupid and full of hate, it is yet another to open your mouth and prove it. I would kiss your ass, but you seem to be all ass, therefore, I wouldn't know where to start. Have a really bad life, your well on your way.

Old Jan 8th, 2001, 03:33 AM
Riche

Hi Liz <BR>Yes Durban is safe. You need only take reasonable care, as you would in NYC, Rome, SFO, etc. <BR>Please visit our website <BR> <BR>www.tourism.to <BR>We are tour/safari operators in Africa and I am South African. <BR>I'd be happy to give you lots of info/advice, etc and can recommend and book hotels, tours and activities for you. The Holiday Inn on the beachfront is great. <BR>Hope to hear from you soon <BR>Best wishes <BR>Riche

Old Feb 10th, 2001, 04:20 AM
EDWIN GILHAM

I found Durban much more relaxed than Cape Town. The "Workshop Area" - the converted railway workshops which is now a shopping mall - is an interesting area if you'r into flea markets - it's big enough. Otherwise in general just be alert and astute. <BR>The information office near the "Workshop" will be able to supply you with any info. <BR>If you are staying at a hotel the front desk will be able to oblige. <BR>Take a look at the website www.timelessafrika.co.za this will give you plenty of info on the complete K/Natal picture.