Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > The best bargain in Africa - Zambia Emerald Season Rates...

The best bargain in Africa - Zambia Emerald Season Rates...

Sep 3rd, 2004, 09:01 PM
Original Poster

The best bargain in Africa - Zambia Emerald Season Rates...

Here is an e-mail I just received from Kafunta Safaris (www.luangwa.com) offering some unbelievable rates for travel between November 15 - May 31st--incredible bargains available for 6.5 months out of the year:

Dear All,

we would like to offer you our special packages for the green season the offer includes most Lodges in South Luangwa, you are free to combine any of the Lodge of any numbers of nights, we have included some images that you can use for your advertisement. Further to the below option we offer low season packages at Kafunta River Lodge as follows:

GREEN SEASON SAFARI
1st November 2003 to 31st May 2005 Rack Rates (20% commission)

5 nights Kafunta River Lodge 750 US$ per person (Single suppl 100 US$)
7 nights Kafunta River Lodge 980 US$ per person (Single suppl 140 US$)

These rates are per person sharing, inclusive of accommodation, all game activities, all meals and snacks, Park entry fees, laundry and all transfers.

Extra costs are drinks.

This package does not included the flight but this can be booked at 300 US$ pp nett Lusaka/Mfuwe return.

Regards Anke

EMERALD SEASON

The bush is a vivid and vibrant emerald green

The air is crystal clear - excellent for photography

The migrant birds arrive and breed, the young emerging in March

A time of rebirth - the impala perform a spectacular drop in early November, and most mammals have a birthing peak during the following few months.

Colour dots the landscape as the flowers burst forth

The afternoon storms, mostly isolated, are vast towering clouds with the evening light bouncing

Sunsets could not be more spectacular

The electrical storms can light up the landscape at night

The mighty Luangwa and Zambezi Rivers fill and flow at their peak

The Victoria Falls thunders !!

So join us on a safari in the Emerald Season....Zambia's Secret Gem..

Valid 15 November 2004 - 31 March 2005 (except for Christmas period of 21 Dec - 05 Jan)

South Luangwa and Livingstone - 7 to 10 night safari

In South Luangwa we offer

Mfuwe Lodge (Mfuwe Trails)

Kapani (Norman Carr Safaris)

Nkwali (Robin Pope Safaris - Nov/Dec only)

Tafika (Remote Africa Safaris - from 10 Feb / 31 March)

Kafunta River Lodge and in Livingstone choose from

Islands of Siankaba

Tongabezi Stanley

Safari Lodge
All internal flights provided by Airwaves Airlink

Lusaka ex BA to Livingstone

Start Thursday
10 nights
USD 2319
Start Saturday
8 nights
USD 1944 Lusaka ex SAA to Livingstone

Start Friday
9 nights
USD 2131
Start Sunday
7 nights
USD 1756

Rates are per person, no single supplement, no minimum number.
Included - All flights with Airwaves Airlink (Lusaka / Mfuwe / Livingstone), Full board and accommodation
South Luangwa Lodges - gameviewing, National Park fees
Livingstone Lodges - boating from the lodge
Extras - Bar, airport taxes.
South Luangwa - Tafika applies a surcharge of USD 50 per person for boat transfers and microlighting extra
Livingstone - Road transfers, road activities (ie excursions away from the camp)
Extension - to fly out of Lusaka on the direct BA flight on Tuesday
Livingstone flight to Lusaka, 2 nights at Chaminuka USD 413
For more information, please contact us

Net rate information for Agents
Note: commission for the package is 20% on total cost
South Luangwa and Livingstone- 7 to 10 night safari

Lusaka ex BA to Livingstone
Start Thursday
10 nights
USD 2319 (USD 1855 net)
Start Saturday
8 nights
USD 1944 (USD 1555 net)
Lusaka ex SAA to Livingstone
Start Friday
9 nights
USD 2131 (USD 1705 net)
Start Sunday
7 nights
USD 1756 (USD 1405 net)
Extension - to fly out of Lusaka on the direct BA flight on Tuesday
Livingstone flight to Lusaka , 2 nights at Chaminuka USD 413 (USD 330 net)

So join us on a safari.in the Emerald Season.Zambia's Secret Gem..

---Does anybody else really understand what an incredible bargain Zambia is compared to just about any other African country offering safari??? Plus, there is not even a single supplement on the package deals, making it a very attractive option for single travelers.

I'll tell you, that with my flights from Joburg to the Sabi Sand, a nice game lodge will cost me upwards of $2,500 USD per person for a 3 night safari. For about the same price, a 10 night South Luangwa/Victoria Falls holiday is possible. I would imagine there are some paying nearly $2,000 USD per person for a 3 night visit to Victoria Falls, alone!

Although I do not have "authorization" to book a trip to Zambia this year, I think the following would be an awesome package, combining an eight night Emerald Rate package but also throwing in a few extra nights separately to stay at Chichele Presidential Lodge, the best experience I have had yet on safari--I liked it better than Singita for the incredible service and awesome game activities--

Days 1 - 3 Cape Town
Days 4 - 5 Cape Winelands
Day 6 - Early morning flight to Joburg, connecting to a flight to Lusaka, arriving in Lusaka by noon in time for a 80 minute air transfer to Mfuwe (South Luangwa). Transfer to Kafunta for three nights. I picked this lodge first because it has a swimming pool, natural hot spring jacuzzi (by May the weather will cool) and is located in an area easily accessible (after the long day of travel, there is no need to make it even longer). Kafunta River Lodge, 3 nights.

Day 9 - Transfer to Tafika for three nights. This will offer a more rustic experience but it is in a very beautiful part of the South Luangwa National Park, and features microgliding for those brave enough to do so.

Day 12 - Not part of the package, but spend three nights at the awesome Chichele Presidential Lodge. Although rack rates are $450 USD per person, I imagine that they can be had for 25% less in emerald season. Nic, the manager, is the best guide that I have experienced yet. He leads a mean walking safari! The service is impeccable and the rooms incredible. The lodge has an overall intimacy that most other lodges lack.

Day 15 - Transfer to Victoria Falls, for the included stay in the Emerald Season package. Two nights at Tongabezi.

Day 17 - Transfer to Joburg. END OF PROGRAM

Total price for this 5 night Western Cape stay, 9 night Zambia safari and 2 night Victoria Falls visit???

Twelve Apostles, Cape Town = $850 USD (www.luxurylink.com)

Lanzerac Manor, Cape Winelands = $500 USD (if staying in May this special rate should be attainable)

Eight night South Luangwa/Victoria Falls package, including all air beginning in Lusaka = $3,900 USD

3 nights at Chichele Presidential Lodge = $2,000 USD?

Air from Cape Town to Joburg = $200 USD

Return Air from Joburg to Lusaka = $750 USD
(if using frequent flier miles on SAA, this is a free add-on flight)

GRAND TOTAL = $8,200 USD or $7,450 USD if using frequent flier miles on SAA.

Summary:

Twelve Apostles Hotel, Cape Town (3)
Lanzerac Manor, Cape Winelands (2)
Kafunta River Lodge (3)
Tafika (3)
Chichele Presidential Lodge (3)
Victoria Falls (2)

Total price per day = $256 pppns or without air costs from Joburg to South Luangwa = $232 pppns.

Now is the time to visit Zambia, as it will not last for another season or two like this. In comparison, I am having a hard time bringing in my budget for under $900 USD per night in South Africa, although I realize I am considering some incredible places. However, Zambia is also incredible, yet is half the price.

Search this Thread