Thanks Roccco!!!

Dec 1st, 2003, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Roccco!!!

Roccco you are the man! Thanks for all the advice. Do you know about game lodges that also let you hunt? Also, is it necessary to have a powerful telephoto lens when you are in the bush taking pictures of the animals? I have a Canon G2, which has only a zoom of up to 100mm. Would that suffice or do I need to upgrade?
Dec 1st, 2003, 03:49 PM

Jet Setter,

Glad I was able to help. I have had very good luck with my digital camera, a Sony F-707 (now called the F-717, and about $899 USD).

I have an online photo album that feature my pictures using this camera exclusively:

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?m=4604239...05&n=456003369

You may have to join (for free) to view the photos, but it will only take a minute or two to join.

The Sony is a little slow between pics, only about one pic every 3-5 seconds, but it more than makes up for it in quality and ease of use.

I really prefer a digital camera so that I can immediately view the photos and decide if the photos are worth retaining or not.

I cannot help you with the hunting and I have heard from others that once they go on a photo safari, that they have no desire to hunt. You will probably find that hunting is a very sensitive subject around here, and despite the conservation allowed by hunting?, most around here, myself included, are opposed to hunting big game in Africa.

I suggest that you work on your itinerary further and then post your ideas on this board and I, and others, will be glad to help and let you know what we think about it. Had I known on my first trip to South Africa, what I know now, two trips later, I would have saved a bundle of money and would have definitely made better use of my time rather than having a choppy safari that included two different stops in Cape Town, rather than one extended stop.

Good luck and keep us informed.
Dec 1st, 2003, 10:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Roccco. I am sorry for the insensitivity of my prior email. I can understand why doing such a thing after a photo safari would be unthinkable.

Search this Thread