Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Thanks Patty!!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/thanks-patty-599169/)

Roccco Mar 14th, 2006 01:06 PM

Thanks Patty!!!

As a result of the information that you provided, I will be flying home Thursday morning and arriving on Thursday afternoon. I cut my trip even shorter due to a major problem I am having with my big toe, an after-effect of minor surgery on the morning of my departure to Africa.

I was not given nearly enough antibiotics and while I do think the Vicodin would have gotten me through the excruciating pain, I gave all of it away to a woman from one of the most respected safari operations in Africa, after she suffered a car accident and seemed to be experiencing great pain in her lower back, as a result. Alexsandra and I came across her during our transfer from Seronera to Zanzibar and I told Alexsandra to just give her the entire bottle...hopefully she is okay, haven't yet checked up on her.

So, I will only have a short time (1 night) in Amsterdam, but a longer time would do more harm than good...I can only imagine the things I could find in Amsterdam to numb the pain...by the time I knew otherwise, I would probably be an amputee! :(

Oh well, not the way I would have liked to have ended my trip, but it is very cold in Europe right now, anyhow. I got away with no cancellation fee for the Four Seasons in Paris and I am pleading with the Canal House not to charge me a cancellation fee for my second night.

I was kind of useless in Zanzibar, as I was fine for most of this trip, but I then had problems once I got to Zanzibar...too many straight days of wearing open shoes. At least Alexsandra really loved Zanzibar, especially Stone Town. Virtually everyone she met told her that 2 nights in Stone Town would be too long, but she would love two more nights here at the Serena Inn.

Bad toe or not, I am ready to come home...I have had all the English Breakfasts and Beef Fillets I can handle, as unfortunately I am not very fond of seafood...okay, I won't touch it...my loss, I am sure, as Alexsandra says that the seafood here is better than anywhere else she has yet been. She especially liked the seafood from the Serena Inn.

I guess now that my trip is just about officially over, I can get started on a trip report.

Thanks again for your help, Patty. Unfortunately, the Delta reps need to be spoon fed everything...makes me wonder if they are actually looking for flights when they put a person on hold!

thit_cho Mar 14th, 2006 01:13 PM

Rocco, I bet if you show your toe to the Canal House they would let you cancel with no fee -- especially if you tell them the truth that you are cutting your trip short to return home for surgery.

Anyway, do try to make the most of your day in Amsterdam. Its a beautiful city, and a cruise on the canals would not tax the toe. And the collection at the Van Gogh is so breathtaking that you will forget about your toe. And, at least look into the Bulldog, or one of the other coffee shops -- the one on Leidseplein is the most central of the larger coffee shops. Even if you don't partake, its worth seeing.

Looking forward to full trip report, especially comparisons of wildlife viewing in East vs. Southern Africa.

Michael

bat Mar 14th, 2006 01:22 PM

Safe trip home, rocco. Good going, Patty.

Patty Mar 14th, 2006 01:25 PM

Glad to be of help. Enjoy your short stay in Amsterdam and have a good flight home.

DJE Mar 14th, 2006 01:36 PM

Roccco,

Sorry to hear about your toe problem. Thankfully you were able to get through the safari portion of your trip ok. I certainly hope the Canal House will give you a break considering the circumstances. Have a safe trip home.

atravelynn Mar 14th, 2006 04:00 PM

Sorry about the toe. Glad it did not affect more of your trip. Good thing this was not a Zambian safari with lots of walking.

What a community it is here. Nice job Patty.

santharamhari Mar 14th, 2006 08:06 PM

Rocco,

Take care of that toe........how long is it going to keep you from running your fav trails?

Take care
Hari

KayeN Mar 14th, 2006 09:51 PM

Hi Rocco,
What a way to end your trip! I hope that you can get it taken care of as soon as you get home and that you have an OK trip home, great if you could knock yourself out with something!

Look forward to your trip report and photos as your highlights sounded fantastic.

Don't know if I will return to Tanzania, maybe in the future. This year I have two trips planned, one in July to Botswana, Zimbabwe and Sabi Sands and the one at the end of the year will be only the Sabi Sands.

Hope you won with the cancellation fee at Canal House, a bit tough if you need to leave for medical treatment that you even have to argue your case.

Have a reasonable trip home, think of the pizza that you were telling us about!

Kind regards,
Kaye

mairseydotes Mar 15th, 2006 07:09 AM

'Sorry about the toe--I know how painful foot troubles can be. Keep it elevated as much as you can and hang in there. 'Hope all goes well with your cancellation. I agree with T.C.: show them the toe. Safe travels.

thit_cho Mar 15th, 2006 08:14 AM

Did you end up losing the frequent flyer miles, or can you get a credit so that you can use them for a one-way US/Europe business class leg in the future?

Patty Mar 15th, 2006 08:58 AM

Michael,
I believe Rocco successfully changed the return flight on his original award ticket.

thit_cho Mar 15th, 2006 09:29 AM

Even better.

Leely Mar 15th, 2006 09:45 AM

Rocco, I'm sorry to hear about your toe. But thankfully, Patty to the flight rescue, as usual.

Have a safe journey home.