Search

Black/navy/white on safari

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black/navy/white on safari

I've read on this board and elsewhere that black and navy blue clothing should be avoided because those colors attract the tsetse fly. Does this apply at night also? And does it apply to a navy blue suitcase as well?

I've also read that white should be avoided, which surprised me, but no reasons were provided. Does anyone know the reason for this? I was thinking of white T-shirts and/or cotton shirts under khaki. Is this a no-no? And why? Any other color advice/warnings? TIA.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:09 AM

At night, wear what you like. I have also worn blue during the day, and maybe I was in non-tsetse fly areas, but I had no issues.

White gets dirty.

Basically, you can wear whatever you like.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 07:44 AM

Hi,
I wore black and white with touches of blue on my last safari and interestingly, wasn't bothered by insects. My husband and guide who mostly wore neutrals, were bothered to a small degree though - go figure.

thit cho is right, white gets dirty fast on safari. If you have your things washed they will never look the same.

Good luck and be comfortable;
Sherry
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:03 AM
africnow

Funny you mention this. I just finished reading an on-line journal that said you also shouldn't wear red - elephants can see red?

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:26 AM

I would certainly avoid bright red on any safari since the idea is to blend in rather than stand out. Blue is the color used to attract the tsetse flies so I'd avoid that too. I've worn black in areas that don't have much of a tse tse fly problem and had no trouble. I've had on khaki when tsetses were buzzing and gotten bitten.

As thit cho mentions, your white will end up beige after one outing due to the dust.

General advice--neutral colors are always good and should be worn on walking safaris. In vehicles, really anything goes.

Your luggage can be any color--even red!

So tell us again where you are going?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:52 AM
lbj

panecott,

White is ok if you are in the confines of a vehicle, though no guide should allow you to walk with it on. The issue with white is that it is not a naturally occuring colour in the bush. Along with loud colours, not the best idea if concealment and fitting in is your plan.

John

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:13 AM

Even in the vehicle white isn't good. In dusty dry areas the vehicles get filled with dust and you will be completely dirty.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 09:24 AM

Red:
Good to weasr if vice presidents are hunting nearby

Bad if wandering elephant enters your tent and spots the red luggage - of course by that time it really won't matter.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 12:16 PM

My favorite guide at Mala Mala wears a black and blue North face windbreaker, Kruger is not a Tsetse fly area, but he does not seem to concerned with any color issue.

Avoid white for reasons stated.

I like to wear lots of khaki and often buy shirts at different camps as momentos. Thats just me.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 01:18 PM
sandi

The Masai wear red; they can be seen from great distances.

We've worn white inside of vehicles and lucked out in keeping them clean considering the environment. Also, dark colors as black and blue. But neutral colors work better in that they blend with your surroundings and easier to mix-n-match - tan, khaki, beige, brown - and don't show dirt as compared to other colors.

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your practical, informative and humorous responses. Guess I'll forego the patriotic look - red, white and blue - and go with the neutrals.

Atravelynn, I'm going with Wilderness Safaris - The Great Namibian Journey and Migration Routes in Botswana. The latter is a mobile safari with Hemingway type tents. BTW, does anyone know what they do about laundry on this type of trip?
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 06:08 PM

Staff did the big laundry items during the day while we were out and we did our "smalls."

Please do a report. Trip sounds fascinating. I've been looking at the many Wilerness options for Namibia.
Old Mar 27th, 2006, 08:55 PM
santharamhari

According to many guides, animals see in black and white and miss out the colors.......i just wear khakis/greens and browns on safari to "blend in" with the rest of the safari-goers.

Depending on your trip, lots of camps have daily laundry as part of your daily rate.....so, yes, you dont hv to carry tons of luggage.

Yes, in Botswana they don't launder smalls, but, they do boxer shorts.....i didnt ask them specifically, but, i just throw it in with the dirty clothes and is returned washed......

Hari

Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:47 PM
mv

I am not a zoologist but it is my understanding that the colour white is the signal for danger. A lot of antelope have withe rumps that they will show when in danger.
A white shirt in a moving vehicle could be interpreted by certain animals as a sign of danger?
Michael
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:15 AM

And a white safari vehicle?

Dark colours will tend to attract mosquitos in the evening and absorb the heat during the day - reason enough to limit their use.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:27 AM
lbj

Kimburu

The white is a rule only applied or walkign safaris. The animals see the vehicle is a large unthreatening block due to habituation. So movement inside is not normally to much of a problem.

If you standing in the of a plain with white on and walking, you will recognised as a foreign object.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 05:15 AM

I could be wrong... but don't most insects not see colour in the way we do?

Isn't it more carbon dioxide that attracts them for some reason?

Is the trick not to breathe?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:25 PM
africnow

LOL - I'm going on a camping trip not using lodges and such. I expect and plan to have a *lot* to adjust to, but to stop breathing for 2 weeks sounds just a b-i-t
difficult

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:07 PM
santharamhari

Pumbavu,

Yep......interesting, saw a program yesterday on animal planet......indeed at night the mosquitoes are attracted to ppl becoz of the co2 when they breathe.....

Hari

Old Mar 30th, 2006, 01:01 AM

This is fun - and informative.

Dark is not a colour but it does attract mosquitos! This is the case whether or not it is on people, I admit. There is certainly no advantage in avoidance of very dark colours for dead people and vegetables. ;-) Also if you are on your own or with a similarly coloured group, or in the dark you will notice no difference!

Can't get away with any generalisations around here nowadays can I? (GOOD)