Tented safari in SA

Oct 20th, 2000, 07:13 AM
Kris

Tented safari in SA

Although I have been to several more 'luxurious' reserves in SA, this time I would love to stay in a tented/basic one - any recommendations please?

Oct 20th, 2000, 09:38 PM
Nigel

If by SA you mean Southern Africa, then Oddballs in the Okavango Delta, Botswana, is fantastic.
It is a tented Camp - 2mX2m domed tents set on wooden platforms overlooking the waterways of the Delta. You can either stay in Oddballs for the whole of your trip, or you can go out on 'Mokoro Trail'- Camping in the 'bush'accompanied by your own personal Guide.
I live in South Africa, and don't know of any similar tented camps, although I am sure they exist. South Africans are keen campers and usually travel fully equipped, so there is not a market for ready made camp sites.
You can see details of Oddballs at http://oddballs.island-safari.com

Oct 20th, 2000, 11:38 PM
Celia

If you want a safari where you pitch your own tent, look at Karibu Safaris, www.karibu.co.za. My husband and I went to Botswana and Victoria Falls with them about 12 years ago, and it was topnotch.

Oct 23rd, 2000, 01:45 AM
Kris

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the recommendation. I did mean South Africa, but am open to Botswana as I've never been there. Unfortunately, I can't find the site at the address you mentioned. I will keep looking!

Search this Thread