Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tent Camps near Grumeti? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tent-camps-near-grumeti-66165/)

PatrickLondon Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

As a man, I may not be the best person to comment, but I would have said yes, reasonably safe. You might want to avoid the 'Walletjes' or red light district (mainly because of the crowds of boisterous drunks), and the somewhat deserted area north of the main railway station, but most parts of the central city should be as safe as any other major European city. Which is to say that you can't rule out the odd lunatic, but as long as you don't leave your diamond necklace dangling out of an opened handbag you should be OK.

blondiepopo Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

Tent Camps near Grumeti?

Just found out I will travelling alone to Amersterdam. Is it safe to walk alone at night on the main streets?

isabel Dec 31st, 1969 04:00 PM

I was in Amsterdam last year and never felt any more or less safe than in any other European city - which means I felt pretty safe. I was with another woman but I would not hesitate to go there alone. As Patrick said, I'd probably just avoid the red light district after dark (it's perfectly fine in the day time).

Melissa Mar 22nd, 2000 01:20 PM

I am trying to plan a honeymoon to Tanz & Seychelles. Will probably splurge and stay at Ngorogoro Crater Lodge the first few nights. Have heard the Grumeti River has good animal viewing for the Serengeti. While i love the look of Grumeti River Camps (CCA),it is a little pricey. Any other nice camps in the area? <BR>Thanks!

AJ Apr 12th, 2000 01:37 AM

There is one more camp in the "Western Corridor" - which parallels the Grumeti River: the Kirawira Camp. It is not on the Grumeti River (as the Grumeti River Camp is), and is not likely to be any cheaper. I haven't been to Kirawira, but have been to Grumeti, and yes it is very expensive, but also a great place to be. When we were there, the daily rate also included all drinks. This may not sound like much, but in most of the other lodges you'd be paying ~$3 a beer, $30 a bottle of cheap wine, and worse for imported spirits. Once you've paid for your stay, you can put you wallet somewhere safe, because you won't need it at Grumeti. Perhaps the best thing about the camp is the privacy. The Seronera area can get very crowded. <BR> <BR>For honeymooning it should be perfect! The (permanent) tents are fabulous.

Jackie Apr 12th, 2000 11:45 AM

Although I did not stay at Kirawira Camp, I heard rave reviews from several people. You're making the right choice with Ngorongoro Crater Lodge. It is spectacular! The rooms, the food, the view -- everything. And the game viewing in the crater was excellent! <BR>I did find that when planning our safari I began by contacting the lodges and camps myself. We ended up booking much cheaper through our Safari company, Roy Safari. They were the best! We had a private vehicle and an informative, highly professional driver. <BR>Have a great time! Feel free to e-mail me with any questions.

Bert Apr 13th, 2000 06:05 PM

I just returned last week from an extensive educational trip in Northern Tanzania, with Kibo Safaris as the land operator (their guides are fantastic, by the way). Of the camps in the Western Corridor I liked Kirawira the best, by far. It was spotless in every sense, obviously very well managed. <BR> <BR>Another camp that really intrigued me was Migration Camp (now part of the Halcyon Group). They have a super honeymoon tent, quite high up against a small hill with a near 360 degree view, and an outside spa bath! Migration Camp is also on the Grumeti, just 'higher up', so to speak, in the northern part of the Serengeti, just south of the Masai Mara. <BR> <BR>Migration Camp has a new and very enthusiastic managing couple, two Aussie expats. They were so keen to have us over for lunch, and could not have been more excited about everything they were planning for the camp. I would give Migration Camp serious consideration for a late summer visit to Tanzania. <BR> <BR>