Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Temple Mount in Jerusalem: hours open, who has toured?

Jun 22nd, 2009, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Wish details in regards to the Temple Mount: the hours open, can a man wear short sleeves? Has anyone toured the temple mount??
Jun 23rd, 2009, 06:53 AM

Here is a link which includes visiting information at the end.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/i...m-temple-mount

I think though that availability for visit can be subject to change depending on circumstances. You may just have to wait and see when you get there. Note that really nothing on the temple mount is open for visiting inside not the mosque or the museum but it is interesting to walk around see the architecture and get the view of Jerusalem and surrounding areas from up there.

I believe short sleeves for men are fine and I am sure that is what my husband wore in 2006 visit.
Jun 24th, 2009, 11:41 AM

I was in Jerusalem several times in the mid-90s. As laurie ann says, it was kind of iffy getting on the Temple Mount. My wife and I did make it on the Mount one time and she visited the Dome of the Rock while I walked around taking photographs.
Jun 26th, 2009, 05:05 PM

I was just there in May. Both men and women need to have their shoulders and knees covered. Since 2000 you can no longer go inside the Dome of the Rock.
Oct 6th, 2009, 01:56 PM

Be careful - there were attacks on tourists last week. Dress modestly.
Nov 11th, 2009, 08:13 PM

I toured the Temple Mount in 2005 during Rosh Hashana, & it also happened to be the first day of Ramadan.

I was with a group tour, & we were told from the beginning that there was no guarantee that we would get to go up on the Mount.

The night before, our tour director told us that he obtained permission to go the next morning, but we had to be there by 7:00 AM.
We were told that all non-Muslims had to be off the Temple Mount before 10:00 AM for the start of Ramadan.

It was an unforgettable experience, & I hope you get an opportunity to experience it, too.

One point to remember if you do go: If you are a Jew or a Christian, you will not be allowed to pray or read/teach from the Bible.