Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Temperature Question for those Just returning from Kenya/Tanzania

Jul 14th, 2006, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Carrie S, Lynda, Sandi and others just returning from Kenya and Tanzania -- can you give some ideas of the day and night time temperatures? I know the Crater can be signficantly colder (hat/gloves?) but my kids will want to know if they may have the opportunity to swim at some of our other lodges.
One more week to go!!!!
Jul 14th, 2006, 01:57 PM
sandi

Mid-day temps are still mild and comfortable. When we visited end/May - beginning/June and being north, south, east and west, we had all temps - hot hot and mild; where hot hot, the pool was most inviting though cold upon entering; where mild, here too it was find for swimming but for the first dip. Whether it's warm/hot enough for your children to swim will depend. And, I'm not certain which pools at which lodges/camps may (may not) be heated. I'd strongly suggest you test the waters. But, since swimsuit or trunks don't take up much room, pack these and see when you get there.

Jul 15th, 2006, 05:43 AM

Hi Amy,

Your kids will definitely be able to swim. It's plenty warm, especially in between the morning and late afternoon game drives.

Side note: while we were swimming at Kirawira, a group of baboons came and drank out of the pool. I got it on video!

Carrie
Jul 15th, 2006, 07:24 PM

Tanzania & Kenya in June was cool in the morning and evening and warm middle of the day. I found myself using zip off pants...long in the mornning, zipped off mid day and then back on for the evening. Swimming was defininatly good during the daytime.

Don't forget the fleece for nighttime. We used ours in Lewa at night and also in Rwanda.
Jul 15th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Those zip offs were the best purchase I made - I lived in them and they owe me nothing! I found an easy wash/dry material - almost like a nylon, but it felt more like a light cotton.

In Nairobi I found I wore the pants most of the day, except in the hot mid-afternoon sun. Temperature there averaged between 23 - 28, the 23 being at night. A t-shirt and those convertibles were very comfortable in Nairobi.

On the safari, the convertibles always started out as pants in the morning, but in most places became the shorts in the afternoon. The evenings - back to pants, not because of the temperature so much, but because of the bugs.

At Ngorongoro, I needed the fleece hoddie at night going to and from the lodge for dinner - it was very chilly, and same with the game run the next morning - we started out at 6 AM I think, and I wore the fleece hoodie until at least 9 AM. I never felt the need for a hat or gloves in, or on the crater.

Swimming would have been great at all places except Ngorongoro - that would have been cold!

One week! I envy you - and I do hope you have a great trip and we look forward to your report! (hopefully you will do one - many people are asking about going with kids and we are a little short on those kind of reports!)
Jul 17th, 2006, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the tips! We will write a trip report for sure, hopefully with some added color commentary from the kids . . they are both keeping journals and we are visiting three schools during our trip to drop off sports equipment and meet the students. One school is also an orphanage.
After trying and returning several pair of zip off pants that made me look huge, I found the perfect pair(s) from Mountain Hardwear -- Seismic Convertible Pants. They key is to find a pair that does NOT have an elastic waist, but a regular waist band, zipper and button closure. These pants are so smart looking, that I have no hesitation about wearing them for the few days we are in London. Super lightweight . they are nylon but not nylony (no swishing when I walk). My husband liked them so much, he got himself a pair too (and no, I don't have any affiliation with the Company). They were on sale at Sierra Trading Post (on line) for $40.
We leave on Saturday for London, so I apologize but I am filled with all sorts of random thoughts!!
Jul 17th, 2006, 10:32 AM

Have a great trip Amy!
Jul 17th, 2006, 09:20 PM

We just returned from TZ 5 days ago. I concur with with LyndaS; you will be able to swim everywhere except Ngorongora Crater. Elsewhere temps in the afternoon are mostly in the high 70s.

As to temps at the crater, I don't think you will need gloves, but do bring a hat. My wife is very sensitive to cold, and did use her hat. Every traveller should bring some warm sleepware; of the seven lodges we stayed in, only one (Ngorongoro Sopa) had any heat in the evening.

I did not have any of those zip-off pants, and really wish I had. In the morning, temps are cool, but by 2 PM I was really envying my daughter's zip-offs.

Have fun.