Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Tell me about the pros and cons of safari adventures in January!

Tell me about the pros and cons of safari adventures in January!

Dec 31st, 2000, 01:33 PM
annemarie

Tell me about the pros and cons of safari adventures in January!

Helping a sister in law research a 2-3 week holiday exactly 1 year from now. They are in their early 50's and loved Europe last year but would like to see something new including some added adventure. Is January a good time for safaris? What upscale company would you recommend we research? What temps would they experience during that time?

Jan 1st, 2001, 03:57 AM
Jasper

January is summer in South Africa! You can have a very nice visit to the coastal regions. Contact me and I will give you more info.
Jasper Louw (Johannesburg)

Jan 1st, 2001, 01:37 PM
BJ

Previously went to Kenya for a 16 day safari (stops in London pre and post). Trip started January 16. Wonderful weather throughout Kenya. Only bad thing was needing to pack cold weather cloths for a few days in London.
We used Park East Tours out of New York City although we were based on California. They did a marvelous job, have access to the BEST lodges, but the best part were our wonderful Kenyan drivers/guides who were simply superb at finding animals in the large preserves/national parks, such as Ambolesli, Aberdares, Samburu, and Masai Mara. Ours was part drive/part flying on Kenya Airlines (flew in old DC3's!) so were able to see maximum parks during short time. Driving from one park some distance to another can be a jarring, dusty, dirty ride; flying a couple of times was a wonderful alternative and gave us a chance to view the Rift Valley from the blue skies. Wonderful trip!

Jan 3rd, 2001, 03:57 AM
Bert

Tanzania and Kenya are both good choices for safari in January: moderate temperatures (nowhere warmer than mid-80's F.) Game-viewing is exceptionally good at that time of the year (in years of normal rainfall pattern) in the southern Serengeti, where large herds of wildebeest and zebra & other herbivores concentrate, with predators following them.

Kenya is also good in January. The migration does not reach the Masai Mara until about July, but the game-viewing there is always good. An added bonus in the Mara in Dec/Jan/Feb is the presence of lovely, cute, playful lion cubs.

Jan 3rd, 2001, 02:17 PM
annemarie

Thanks for all of your honest opinions. Good that the temperature is more moderate. Will read up a bit more on all safari choices. Thanks, again!

Jan 8th, 2001, 02:57 AM
Riche

Hi Annemarie
January:
Kenya and Tanzania are good all year round.
Zimbabwe (barring the political situation) is very hot in Jan

South Africa's Kruger Park is at it's weakest for game viewing in Jan due to this being the 'wet' season (grass and vegetation is more dense and lots of water means animals are more dispersed. But the private, upmarket game reserves adjoining Kruger are excellent all year.

We are safari operators in Africa, and I am South African and have visited all African Game Reserves.
Please visit our website at
www.tourism.to
and consider allowing us to make these arrangements for you.
Write if you need more information.
Best wishres
Riche du Plessis

Search this Thread