telephone in egypt

Jun 14th, 2000, 07:42 AM
Frank Willis

telephone in egypt

We will leave on june 19,2000 for egypt. I have been told that it is expensive to call back to the states. Has anyone had this experiences? Is there a calling plan I can purchase to reduce this expense? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Jun 20th, 2000, 05:50 PM
Mike

It's pretty difficult to call out of Egypt to the states especially from Cairo. Didn't have as much trouble when we were in Sharm el Sheik. The cheapest ways to call are by using an ATT or MCI calling card. They both have local #s in Egypt you can dial to reach the States. Otherwise it's something like 7 bucks a minute to call from a hotel.

Jun 21st, 2000, 04:30 PM
Tom

We did not try to call home while there recently, but we were with others who did try, It was difficult and expensive and if you tried to use an 800 number supposedly accessible from Egypt, it did not work at all from their experiences. Many resorted to the various internet cafes which seemed to be everywhere we stopped from Cairo to Luxor. The equipment was old and speed was slow but it was cheaper and more efficient than the telephone.

Jul 19th, 2000, 01:15 PM
alia

hi, i live in cairo. to phone the us u have amny options
1- u can buy minatel or nile card (for 20 LE) and use booths in the street.
2- u can buy mci cards and phone from where u are. the min is arounf 5 LE
3- u can use phone centers, the have a fare for each country. teh min is around 5 LE

Search this Thread