Search

Weather in May in Kenya??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:00 PM
Sandy

Weather in May in Kenya??

Has anyone been to the Masai Mara in May who could tell us what kind of weather to expect? My guide book tells us it is the rainy season (what exactly does that mean? Does it rain all day, a few hours in the afternoon, at night, hardly at all?)?? <BR> <BR>Should I take shorts, long sleeves, short sleeves, long pants, jacket? I want to travel light and it's hard not knowing how hot it might be during the day. <BR> <BR>Any other tips/hints you can give us about going on a safari? This is our first time and we're VERY excited. <BR> <BR>Thank you all in advance, <BR>Sandy <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 18th, 2001, 05:30 AM
bobby grace

My research tells me that it is very rainy in May, a good month not to go because the animals are not looking for water and become very hard to find. May is the off season for Kenya. Hopefully you will be lucky and not get to much rain where the roads become impassable and very muddy with lots of trucks getting stuck and having to be towed out. Try for another month if you can. Good luck, buck

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 04:20 AM
Maria

We were there in the end of May 1999 and it was so wet and roads were so muddy that we had to stay in two different lodges than originally planned. Some people on this forum mentioned that in 2000 rainy season never came. May and Aril were dry I would wait until July

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 06:08 AM
Sandy

Thanks Bobby & Maria . . . but May is th only time we can go and we're already booked. <BR> <BR>We will have a great time, no matter what! If it is too rainy/muddy, then we'll have a story to tell. We're taking some thick books to read during the down town. <BR> <BR>I'm still wondering about the temp and what to take. <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Sandy

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Jules

It is the rainy season but sometimes you can be lucky and it won't rain all day or rains in fits and starts - it won't get too chilly a light cardigan should do for when it rains and in the evening. Make sure you take a hat on safari as they will only try and sell you one at the gates and it keeps all the dust out of your hair. I wore shorts on my safari - most did!! Mosi repellent for the evening is a must - especially if it is damp out. Soltan aftersun with insect repellent is fantastic stuff - I have been to Kenya many times with work and it does the trick and moisturises too! <BR>You will have a fantastic time if it rains or not - make sure you barter for any wooden animals you may buy!! <BR>If you can take some pens or pencils for the kids that you see along the way they are much appreciated. <BR>Have fun!! <BR> <BR>

Old Feb 22nd, 2001, 10:48 AM
Peter

The rainy season usually ends by the middle of May, although the last two years have seen near drought conditions. Climate depends on elevation, but there are no extremes. You will want a jacket in the morning in the Mara and around Mt. Kenya. Samburu and Amboseli have spring-like weather. I wore shorts and a short sleeve shirt most of the time in July. Also, if you're on a flying safari, muddy roads won't be much of a problem. You'll have the time of your life!