Taxi/weather sites

Jan 13th, 2004, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Taxi/weather sites

Can someone let me know what the fare/rate is? Or how much a five mile ride would be?
Also, WUnderground does not have the historical temps for Cairo, can you advise on other websites that might?
Jan 13th, 2004, 02:54 PM
sandi

bridgetS -

Very cryptic message

Taxi from where to where?
Weather when? (which month)

Only Cairo or other areas of Egypt, as they are different

Jan 16th, 2004, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Taxis are generally a mileage rate or time, not from a point A to point B.
As far as weather, I was looking for a site that would give historical information, not specific to any one area or time of year.
Jan 16th, 2004, 06:22 AM
sandi

bridgetS

In Egypt everything is negotiated, so there rarely is a set fee from the airport. Though there are metered cabs with rates established, from say your hotel to the Pyramids, or to the Bazaar.

As to weather, I don't have a site, but the weather can be greatly different in Cairo, a city you will find on most weather sites versus places such as Luxor or Aswan or Abu Simbel (not likely to be found on weather sites) which are way South and much much hotter year-round.

Jan 19th, 2004, 09:02 AM

I have yet to see a cab with a WORKING meter in Cairo. Be sure to negotiate a price to your destination BEFORE getting into any taxi. If you are staying at a major hotel, have the concierge help you.

If you are going shopping in the Khan or to the pyramids, you might consider negotiating a price to include travel to and from and waiting time. Might be easier than trying to get a taxi back to your origination point. A rate of 20-30 LE an hour is reasonable. Don't forget a good tip if the driver is courteous and helpful.

If you are going to do a bunch of sightseeing in one day, you might consider hiring a car/van and driver for the day. It might be more expensive than a taxi, but you are more likely to get air conditioning and seatbelts.

I don't know any weather sites that give historical data. I can give you an idea if you tell me when your travel dates are. Mind you - I don't know that I can give you actual temperature ranges - but I can give you an idea of clothing needs.
Jan 19th, 2004, 12:51 PM

My favorite for weather anywhere in the world is www.weatherbase.com.

Search this Thread