Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Taxi from Tel Aviv Airport at 2:30AM (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/taxi-from-tel-aviv-airport-at-2-30am-1675037/)

Myer Dec 11th, 2019 01:32 PM

Taxi from Tel Aviv Airport at 2:30AM

What issues will we have taking a taxi from Tel Aviv airport to our hotel in Jerusalem at 2:30AM.

LAX_Esq Dec 11th, 2019 03:29 PM

FYI, you should probably post your follow-up question in your original thread: https://www.fodors.com/community/afr...rport-1674956/ . Hopefully the mods can merge the two threads for ease.

What issues? Being friggin' tired, mainly.

TLV is a 24 hour airport and people are flying in and out at all hours of the night, so you will have no problem getting a taxi from the taxi line.

FYI, just like taxi drivers in most of the world, Israeli taxi drivers are pretty scummy and there's a decent risk that they'll try to rip you off if you don't speak any Hebrew, don't know your way around, etc. Consider booking a pre-paid service. I've heard they're cheaper than taxis. Sorry, but I don't have any recommendations. Google around and/or check on the TripAdvisor Israel forums for recs (TA is much more active for Israel discussions).

Also, let your hotel know about your late arrival so they don't cancel your booking and give away your room.

Myer Dec 11th, 2019 04:22 PM

Thanks. Good info.

Myer Dec 12th, 2019 03:09 AM

Can you pay a taxi by credit card?

LAX_Esq Dec 12th, 2019 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Myer (Post 17028984)
Can you pay a taxi by credit card?

Not really. Some taxi drivers are connected to a particular app (GetTaxi), and you and the driver would both need to have the app. But most will be cash only.

doug_stallings Dec 12th, 2019 08:17 AM

I was just in Israel a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't encounter a single taxi where I could pay with a credit card, all the more reason to book a transfer in advance, especially at that hour. We also couldn't find a rideshare service that really worked in Israel. We could call taxis with an app, but then you had to pay the fare in cash.

Myer Dec 12th, 2019 09:33 AM

Doug, can you recommend a transportation service?

I assume there are ATM machines outside most banks. Correct?

I'll make sure I have a few hundred dollars worth of Israeli currency when I arrive.

Thanks.

LAX_Esq Dec 12th, 2019 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Myer (Post 17029151)
I assume there are ATM machines outside most banks. Correct?

I'll make sure I have a few hundred dollars worth of Israeli currency when I arrive.

Thanks.

There are ATMs all over the place in any major city in Israel, just like in any major city in the US. And there are a bunch of ATMs at the airport, so you can just withdraw money at the airport.

Absolutely don't buy shekels in the US. You'll get a terrible rate.

Your best bet is to come with an ATM card that no international fees. If you don't already have such an ATM card, get a Schwab ATM card or the like. Any savvy international traveler should have a no fee international ATM card like Schwab (totally free to open, no hidden fees, no BS, no catches, etc.).

Oreet Dec 13th, 2019 03:04 AM

Taxi at 2:30 am

Ben Gurion airport (TLV) is a world class airport - there is no problem whatsoever getting a taxi - a properly registered and licensed taxi - at 2:30 am or any other time the airport is open

I disagree completely with the statement that "most taxi drivers are scummy" - just like any place in the world and any profession in the world - there are some who are crooks and many who are honest and straightforward.

If you get a taxi from the official taxi stand the dispatcher will make certain that the driver knows exactly where you are going and that you are charged the official rate - you will get a piece of paper telling you exactly what the cost will be.

Yes you will need shekels but don't get them in the US - there are ATMs in the airport - legal, regulated and they are bank ATMs even if there is no branch attached to them.

There is absolutely no need or benefit to get a private transfer and then hope they are there on time and pay twice as much as a taxi (if not more).

doug_stallings Dec 13th, 2019 04:46 AM

There's absolutely no need to buy shekels in the US at a horrible rate. The airport has several ATMs as well as currency exchange. Bring US$200 and your ATM card, and you'll be fine. There ATMs in every big hotel in Israel as well as at banks, but not every ATM will take international cards. Unfortunately, I can't recommend a taxi service personally because my tour operator arranged my transfers for me.

mbgg Dec 14th, 2019 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Myer (Post 17028844)
Thanks. Good info.

The taxi fares from the airport are fixed and regulated. Go to the official taxi line outside the main doors and you will have no problem. The prices are posted and there is a dispatcher that can assist you. You can calculate the fare here:
https://www.iaa.gov.il/en-US/airport...alculator.aspx