Tarangire Treetops

Nov 17th, 2004, 03:02 AM
Original Poster

Tarangire Treetops

Hello,
I've heard that Tarangire Treetops Lodge has just reopened under new management. They've apparently gone through extensive renovation and I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about the new lodge.
I'm debating over Treetops or Kitoti for our stay in Feb.
I've read mixed reviews about both, but I am relying on old information.
--also, is Feb a good time to go to Tarangire? I'm conflicted because my tour agent tells me it will be superb, while I am reading that Feb is an "off-season" for animal viewing.
any input or advice would be great!!
thanks
Nov 17th, 2004, 06:44 AM

This may or may not help as it is a chart and can change with the rains, but it shows that Tarangire is generally Good for February. Here's the link:
http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

Have you posted your itinerary here yet? I would love to see where else you will be visiting as the migration will be in the southern Serengeti at that time for the calving season. Its a very exciting time and one I would love to see. Liz
Nov 17th, 2004, 04:23 PM
sandi

The ideal time at Tarangire is for a mini-migration from mid-June thru October. However, while there might not be the numbers in wildlife viewing, there are lots of ellees, zebra, baboons, giraffe, lions... of course, the baobob trees.

As to Tree Lodge - should be completed, but maybe not completely, yet should be by February. I also heard that they are working out kinks as many places do if new staff on hand and surroundings have to be gotten used to. Can't say what will be in this regard by February. Kikoti, however, is well established and receives constant good reviews.

Nov 18th, 2004, 12:08 PM

Patatrac: We were at Klein's Camp in the Serengeti last month and were talking to some people there who were not too happy with their stay at Tarangire Treetops. Apparently, at that time, the renovations were not completed, even though they were assured by their travel agent that they were. Their complaints went beyond just working things out, to serious problems with the bathroom facilties. FYI. Does not mean that it wont be done by the time you go, but just make sure things are done. Remember, in Africa, things do not get done as quickly as they do elsewhere in the world.

Search this Thread