Tarangire Park

Nov 25th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Tarangire Park

Welcome seeing feedback on Tarangire Park, Tanzania. Have option to do this one in place of Lake Manyara Park. Will travel to lodging, an afternoon game drive and travel next morning exiting the park do justice to what is there? A package trip will be in mid-June.
Thanks in advance, Dick
Nov 25th, 2003, 03:31 PM

rsnyder: There has been quite a bit of discussion lately about Tarangire. If you do a word search you will undoubtedly find it. IMO - and there are many out there who may disagree - Tarangire is a gem of a park. Small (by African standards) but full of life. Lions, elephants, dik-dik, etc. The giant baobabs are impressive and we saw the most spectacular sunset of our entire trip in Tarangire. Manyara, however, is just as spectacular, but for different reasons. Landscape is different and the Lake offers different wildlife than what you would see in Tarangire. I will say that Tarangire was where we had a wonderful elephant encounter - a mock charge by a young bull - and where an elephant passed through our camp at night. That was after something woke me up earlier, only to look outside of the tent to see five impala no more than five feet away happily munching on grass. Manyara has an astonishing number of bird species and is also known for its tree-climbing lions, of which a friend of mine got some incredible shots a few years ago. I think either park will afford you some spectacular memories, no matter how brief your visit.

Search this Thread