Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tarangire - Lodges & Camps Map (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tarangire-lodges-and-camps-map-559457/)

climbhighsleeplow Sep 19th, 2005 08:18 AM

Tarangire - Lodges & Camps Map

Ok, the sneak preview of Tarangire NP via Google Earth is now available:

http://www.go-safari.com

Drive distances, drive times, pictures of lodges/camps will be added soon.

However, if you zoom in on Tarangire River Camp you can click on the URL to see pictures of the camp. Other pics will follow soon!

As always, if you have some pics to contribute it will enrich the experience for all of us!

Enjoy, Eben

bat Sep 19th, 2005 08:46 AM

Hi Eben:
When I tried to open the tarangire file (the kmz file) windows said it did not recognize it--any ideas?

Leely Sep 19th, 2005 08:59 AM

I can't find Tarangire River Camp...am I losing my mind?

Also, my grandparents had a papillon, Cha Cha, many moons ago. They are wonderful dogs!

bat Sep 19th, 2005 09:15 AM

Hi Leely:
So you did not have any trouble opening it?

Leely Sep 19th, 2005 09:26 AM

bat,
Whoops, I was just looking at the map. I can't download (we're not supposed to b/c of licensing agreements) at work. I will try at home.

Leely Sep 19th, 2005 09:31 AM

Oh, I work on a Mac here and at home. So maybe I can't do this at all?

bat Sep 19th, 2005 09:39 AM

Leely:
That is what Julian said on the other thread.

Patty Sep 19th, 2005 12:21 PM

bat,
I had no trouble downloading and viewing the file. I saved it on my hard drive first, then opened it.

Other than this particular file, are you able to download and run Google Earth?

Patty Sep 19th, 2005 12:24 PM

Leely,
On the actual file, Tarangire River Camp is there, but you have to zoom in a bit to see it. It's in the northwest area of the park, not far from Tarangire Safari Lodge.

Leely Sep 19th, 2005 12:39 PM

In purple? Called Tarangire Camp? That's a great location.

Patty Sep 19th, 2005 12:56 PM

It's very close to the purple lettered Tarangire Camp. Are you looking at the sample map or the Google Earth file? I don't think you can see it on the sample map.

I believe the color coding is -

lodge and tented camps - yellow
public campsites - dark purple
private 'special' campsites - light purple

Maybe Eben can clarify.

Leely Sep 19th, 2005 01:04 PM

I can only look at the sample map; I'm a Mac user.

I don't know why I so desperately want to know where the River Camp is on a map-- we're not even staying there. But Tarangire and environs have always confused me.

On the bright side, I was able to watch the Simambili leopard video. Fantastic!

climbhighsleeplow Sep 19th, 2005 01:10 PM

I posted an index to the color schemes on the web site, and more troubleshooting tips.

MAC is not supported but you can use a PC emulator.

Patty is correct! Tarangire River Camp is there - but you must zoom.

Tarangire Camp is a public camp site.

Nyamera Sep 19th, 2005 02:27 PM

This sounded to good to be true – and at is. After a lot of trying I read that you can’t install Google Earth on Windows 98. Now I’ll go to bed, but I’ll not be able to sleep.

bat Sep 19th, 2005 05:46 PM

Patty: thanks for the advice. I had to save it and then open it in google earth.

Eben:
Very cool indeed. It makes me dizzy (in a good way) as it zooms in.

You want suggestions yes?--before you do this for all of the places you intend to map?

For me, all of the names laying on top of the map are too much, too busy and it gets confusing. The names are not the links anyway. You mouse a location and then the corresponding names "lights" up. Can you consider creating an index to the side i.e. putting the names--in groupings, such as all lodging (both lodges and campsites together)with a different list for scenic spots perhaps? Set it up so that you can mouse the name in the index and the location corresponds. Or mouse the location and the name corresponds. [I have seen this on other websites--of course only with primitive maps, not your fantastic google earth map.]

I think your map will look a lot cleaner and the locations will show up better without all of the word names cluttering the view.

climbhighsleeplow Sep 19th, 2005 09:11 PM

That's a great idea, bat!

Fortunately GE is very flexible so all it takes is a LABEL opacity switch at the folder level and voila! 0% is now default.

I posted new data files for Madikwe & Tarangire. What do you think?

Eben

bat Sep 20th, 2005 02:56 PM

Hi Eben:
Still at work and I can only access this from home--so I look forward to seeing them later.

bat Sep 24th, 2005 11:48 AM

Eben:
Lots of great new info and links.

I realized this time that there is an "index" to the lodges in the google earth bar on the left. So if you take off the names on the Tarangire map you will have what I was suggesting--and what you have for the Mandikwe map.

I really enjoyed "flying" from Tarangire to Mandikwe. This sure is addictive--it is just as well that I cannot access it from work. Oh, I just remembered that I am receiving a new computer that can handle google earth. Uh oh.

[btw, the Manyara file would not open.]

lifelist Sep 25th, 2005 01:58 PM

Climbhighsleeplow,

I was wondering if you might be able to post screenshots of the maps for those of us who can't use Google Earth (Mac, older PCs). I was actually using your screenshot of Tarangire to figure out where things were and noticed it's not there anymore. It was very useful to me - I just wish I could use Google Earth and join in the fun.

Thanks.

climbhighsleeplow Sep 26th, 2005 05:11 AM

Lifelist, we placed the map back on the site just for you!
Eben