Tarangire Camp comparisons

Mar 13th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Tarangire Camp comparisons

Which do you prefer-- the Tarangire River Camp or the Tarangire Safari Lodge? Can you be specific about their differences, other than River Camp is located outside the park boundaries? Is there a quality difference in regards to the food and the tents themselves between these two camps? Please give subjective opinions. Thanks for your response!
Mar 13th, 2006, 04:56 PM

I've only been to River Camp but, from what I can see on Safari Lodge's website, the tents at River Camp are much larger and nicer. They have been upgrading and now their tents are on platforms off the ground, with thatched roofs over them. They also have large bathrooms and dressing areas. There are large screened windows all around. I watched 2 bull elephants one night from those windows as they moved through camp, walking right past me in the moonlight.

Another good thing about River Camp is that it is on Maasai land, so we went walking with them one afternoon. It was quite an educational experience. I understand that they now offer visits to a nearby village, as well.

The food was excellent at River Camp. One day we left before dawn and took a picnic breakfast with us, dining at picnic grounds in Tarangire. It was fun to eat while watching elephants in the valley below us.

I'll be interested to hear from someone who has stayed at both camps recently.

Search this Thread