Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tarangire? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tarangire-505735/)

davek Feb 21st, 2005 05:56 AM

Tarangire?

Am planning to go to Kenya/Tanzania in August and some of it is planned. I have an interest in Tarangire. We are already planning to go to Masai Mara, Serengeti and Ngorongoro Crater. Has someone been to tarangire that can tell us its appeal for you. Also I have heard of Kondoa rock paintings. Has anyone seen that? Thanks
davek

atravelynn Feb 21st, 2005 06:51 AM

Davek

Tarangire would be a great addition, especially in August, when game should be very good there. You could likely get some of your best elephant activity in this park.

There are numerous baobab trees in Tarangire that give the landscape a different feel from other placees.

While on safari, when I meet people I always like to ask them their favorite park. I have heard several times from people traveling in Kenya and Tanzania, that their favorite was Tarangire.

When I was there in 2001, I noticed that several normally shy species seemed more relaxed in this park than others. This allowed closeup views of a jackal and a half hour watching a family of dik diks (tiny antelope) playing near the road.

Other notable sitings: lions, a leopard in 2001, flock of 5 red and yellow barbets

As to where to stay, I'm not much help. I thought Tarangire Tented Lodge would be a nice choice and booked and paid for it in advance on two separate ocassions. I never got to stay there, though. On trip #1 in 1994 there was no room at the inn and a tent was put up for me and 3 others in the park. In 2001, again no room so I was upgraded to Sopa Lodge. Very lovely, but rather expensive and large.

You would likely do Tarangire prior to Ngorongoro. If so, may I suggest a stop en route for lunch? Or you could even stay there overnight. Gibb's Farm! I believe my best meal ever was had there.
Fertile soil, fresh fruits and vegetables (they had meat too) and a skilled chef produced amazing dish after dish.

Thanks for bringing up the Kondoa rock paintings that I was unaware of. I'll be interested in any comments others have on these.

Enjoy your trip!

climbhighsleeplow Feb 21st, 2005 08:16 AM

Tarangire is certainly one of my favorite parks.

It's a nice contrast to the open plains of Serengeti and Ngorongoro. Here you have to search for the wildlife much like the South African reserves.

Excellent for leopards and pythons in the trees! Eland, lion, elephant, bustards (actually over 550 bird varieties), etc. etc. The baobabs are a huge attraction. Don't miss it, but the northern areas have a bit of traffic.

Inside the park, Swala and Oliver's are the most exclusive. Oliver's do walking safaris and the owner is a very interesting and delightful host!

Maweninga, Kikoti and the Tarangire River camp are all tented. Tarangire Safari Lodge is very good value for money with great views (tents and rondavels) but can be crowded at times. Sopa is nothing special.

Outside the park, TreeTops has new owners and is very unique but it's quite a drive to get there and back into the park. It is ideal for couples looking for the romantic.

The rock paintings are further down the main road going south. I've never been but plan to go there this June! Would like to hear if others have seen it?

climbhighsleeplow Feb 21st, 2005 08:19 AM

Oops, got carried away!

Kikoti tented camp is actually outside the park and offer night drives, etc. It is nearer to the entrance than Treetops. Very nice but they added more tents so it is getting bigger.

alwaysafrica Feb 21st, 2005 09:33 AM

Hi Davek,

My husband and I were in Tarangire for a few days during our safari in January and I would say: definitely go! As someone else mentioned, Tarangire is much different from the other parks... parly because of the overwhelming number of baobob trees in the park ... which make its appearance completely different and interesting to see. It also makes for much different animal sightings - while we weren't lucky enough to see a leopard, we did find the elephant viewing to be spectacular (you won't believe how many are in that park!!! So many elephant families, different groupings - it was fascinating, and MUCH better than we'd seen anywhere else!), the bird life was magnificent, and we spent hours watching the monkeys and baboons... I loved the park (and we were there in January, when some say that the animal viewing is at its worst...!), so I can only imagine it in August!

Hope that helps!

sandi Feb 21st, 2005 09:55 AM

Another vote for Tarangire. One of my favorites also. Small, but the Baobabs so enhance the landscape. And during the time you plan to visit, there will be a mini-type migration. There are a number of lodgings options for your consideration as mentioned above, so don't miss this park.

alwaysafrica Feb 21st, 2005 10:34 AM

Oh, and I forgot to mention in my last post, that we stayed at the luxury camp that is owned by our tour company. It is called Naitolia Camp and it was absolutely fabulous - I think it costs about $350 US per room per night, and I believe that anyone can book lodging at the camp, by contacting our company at [email protected]. If you're interested and you want more details on the camp, let me know...

climbhighsleeplow Feb 21st, 2005 11:21 AM

Hi Alwaysafrica

You're the first person I've heard of who stayed at Naitolia Camp! I've heard about it but never had a chance to see it. Can you tell us more?

Is this the one with 4 rondavels? How long was the drive to the Park entrance? Only room for 8 or so people?