Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tanzania without Tears (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tanzania-without-tears-772261/)

Mike14c Mar 10th, 2009 08:46 AM

Tanzania without Tears

Our peripatetic planning continues for Safari #4. Now it looks like we can maybe make this year, but we'll have to go at Christmas.

Here's the question of the day: how far can you get in Northern Tanzania while minimizing the tiny planes that increasingly terrify me and reduce me to a quivering mass of tears?

The current thought is something like this:

Fly into Kilimanjaro International, drive to Arusha Coffe Lodge. Stay one night.

Drive to Ngorongoro Crater, stay two nights. (so far so good, I think)

Drive to Serengeti (possible?) and get to ccafrica/&beyond Serengeti Under Canvas Camp (probably not possible, right?) stay four nights

Drive to Arusha and take one and only little plane to Zanzibar. Stay four nights. Take ferry back to Dar, stay one night and fly home.

I can't get a sense of distance in Northern Tanzania, except that distances are enormous. THe real go is to get to Serengeti and to a very nice camp, and round out in Zanzibar.

As always, any thoughts or suggestions are so gratefully appreciated.

sandi Mar 10th, 2009 02:31 PM

I would think the CCA SUC camp will be located in Southeast Serengeti. By Dec the wildies are usually down south at Ndutu and/or SESerengeti. If so, from Ngorongoro it's not that long a drive (2.5+/hrs).

Best to ask CCA where the camp will be set-up to be certain.

Can't imagine SUC would be farther north than Central, and even that can be done easily from Ngorongoro. However, from Central back to Arusha is a full day of travel; where folks would fly via Arusha for connecting ZNZ flight.

Mike14c Mar 10th, 2009 02:36 PM

Well, maybe we make that one additional small plane from Serengeti to Arusha at the end. The litle planes didn't bother me that much on the first africa trip, but with each time I get one since, it just gets more and more unpleasant. Well, that's what Valium is for I guess.

Thanks for your feedback!

atravelynn Mar 10th, 2009 03:15 PM

As you are fighting tears of fear from flying, I am looking at various East Africa itineraries that will be mostly driving and thinking to myself, "It would be safer to fly, but it looks like I'll have to do mostly driving."

Interesting your discomfort has grown over time. Down a Valium and look forward to the beach.

Have a great trip.

Mike14c Mar 10th, 2009 06:41 PM

Lynn: At so it goes. To each their own neurosis, I guess. Your right, flying no doubt is safer. But as a wise person once said to me: there is a big differnce, in every way, between being safe and feeling safe!

Hope you enjoy your trip as well (and the planning.)

Mike

ann_nyc Mar 11th, 2009 05:51 AM

I actually chose my particular safari itinerary in order to avoid small planes, since I'm afraid of flying even on large jets, but I know that the large jet safety statistics are good, so I force myself to get on.

The only small plane flight I couldn't avoid was the flight from the Serengeti back to Arusha, on a 12 seater. And lo and behold it was not nearly as bad as I was afraid of. In fact I preferred the way the small plane took off so quickly -- I didn't have all that time wondering if the plane would actually lift off the ground.

sandi Mar 11th, 2009 08:33 AM

... and those small plans can land on a dirt road most anywhere; somewhat more difficult for a jet, unless they have the entire Hudson River with a pilot named Sully! :) I'd take those little guys most any day, especially for the short-hauls in Africa.

Mike14c Mar 11th, 2009 09:08 AM

Oh, Sandi, I know! But if phobias were rational, they wouldn't be phobias!

Just spoke with my super-terific TA, and looks like we can get this done fairly easily with just one (longish) flight from Serengeti to Zanazibar through Arusha. So again, I'll just stock up on the Valium and let 'er rip!

I have another question about Tanzanian guides, but I guess I'll start another thread for that one.

ShayTay Mar 12th, 2009 09:33 PM

Our Regional Air flight from the Serengeti to Arusha was a good-sized two-engine plane that seated about 30 to 40 people; not bad! We then continued on to Zanzibar with them, although not on the same plane. Precision Air also flies larger planes to Zanzibar, but I think they may fly out of JRO, which isn't close to where you'd be landing in Arusha. I'd stick with one airline to ensure that you'll be able to make the Zanzibar flight.

tanzaniatouroperator Mar 14th, 2009 10:12 AM

as widely expected CCA have extended their 4 nights for the price of 3 offer to the period up until 20 December so if you can travel before just before christmas then you would save yourself about $2000. Make sure your agent tells you about this !

atravelynn Mar 14th, 2009 01:31 PM

That should bring tears of joy!

Mike14c Mar 14th, 2009 03:05 PM

Drat! Just can't travel that early -- we have take advantage of the Christmas Holidy from work. However, I'm just doing a little math...and I think we have that discount built in even though our date of travel are after the 20th. I'll ask the TA Monday

althom1122 Mar 15th, 2009 07:05 AM

Mike - can't comment on your itinerary or flights, but regarding phobias, I completely understand! I'm terrified of any snake - even a garter snake. My daughter, meanwhile, has a boa constrictor as a pet (no, I don't visit!) but is terrified of going down a long flight of stairs. Even when they're not rational, phobias are, well, scary. Good luck!

atravelynn Mar 15th, 2009 09:54 AM

Mike, Ask about the discount and in these times you may even be able to get it extended, if it's not already there.

tanzaniatouroperator Mar 16th, 2009 10:19 AM

did you get the discount ?