Tanzania Visa questions

Sep 21st, 2013, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Tanzania Visa questions

will be going to Tanzania from Kenya on Safari, If we have our application form for Visa filled out and our passports, do we need to have extra passport photos? In looking at past threads, it appears that we do not, but if someone has been there more recently, I would surely appreciate up to date info.

Thanks,
Jean
Sep 21st, 2013, 11:07 AM

NO photos required if purchasing Visa on arrival whether Kenya or Tanzania. They have you and your passport in front of them. The agents don't need anymore paper.

Remember though, moving from Kenya to Tanzania you do require a Yellow Fever inoc and proof of same for entry to/from/between.
Sep 21st, 2013, 04:19 PM

Good piece of advice from Sandi!

In May, coming from Nairobi into Kilimanjaro, the first thing they asked to see was our Yellow Fever Certificate as we were entering the immigration area.

As soon as they checked the certificates, we then handed our $50.00, our filled out application form & our passports to a 'runner' at the door. He didn't look official at all as he looked too young & believe me we were not thrilled at handing him all of that - but he did have a ID badge & yellow traffic vest, so we did. (and we had no other choice) He had us sit by the door in the chairs by the window while we watched him hand over the application, the money & the passport to the 'visa' window. We then breathed a sigh of relief

From here, the young man called us over by couples to the immigration window where they filled out the visa, they photographed us, and fingerprinted us. Once done there, we saw the young lad standing by our friends who finished before us with a luggage cart for each of us. He led us into the baggage area, asked us which bags were ours, loaded them onto the cart & then proceeded to take them outside to the meeting area for us. He did not hang around for a tip, one of us in the group had to run after him to give it to him. We were actually impressed with all of this, as it went very quickly & smoothly once we got over the initial worry about giving him $100.00 per couple & our passports. That part was a little nerve wracking though & in hindsight, perhaps immigration should reconsider having us part with our passports like that.

We also flew to Stonetown from Nairobi later on, and again, the Yellow Fever Certificate was the first thing they asked for. The couple in front of us didn't have it, last I saw of them they were still talking with the authorities at the door, I'm not sure what happened to them.

After the Yellow Fever certs were checked in Stonetown, we went to the immigration desk where they fingerprinted us (again) and photographed us (again).

If anyone has any objection to being fingerprinted, believe me they will get over it after a three week trip to East Africa - I swear we were fingerprinted about 10 times during that trip. At least it's a laser kind of fingerprinting - not the old 'ink' kind!
Sep 22nd, 2013, 08:17 AM

Fingerprinting/photos on arrival - not unusual here as similar procedure is done many Western countries for those who are not citizens with proper papers/passport. It's done on entry US and even Canada, depending on visitors standing for entry to said country.

Hey, the US provided the equipment, so it might as well be used by these countries and others.

Search this Thread