Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tanzania Visa (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tanzania-visa-600513/)

deeppowder Mar 19th, 2006 10:24 AM

Tanzania Visa

Hey everyone,
Just a quick question.

I recvieved my passport back from the Tanzania consulate and all it had in it was a stamped Visa. Im not sure what I was expecting but it that all it is
Thanks
Deeppowder

bat Mar 19th, 2006 10:28 AM

Yes-that is your visa--if you look at it you will see that it says it is valid for a period of time.

deeppowder Mar 19th, 2006 10:30 AM

Thanks for the quick responce
Deeppowder

bat Mar 19th, 2006 11:03 AM

hi deeppowder:
I also meant to say I had exactly the same reaction you had--we got ours at the embassy and when she gave us our passports, the only piece of paper was a recipt and I asked if there was some other paper we needed. She explained the stamp in the passport was the visa.
I am curious --how long does it say yours is valid--ours said 6 months.

deeppowder Mar 19th, 2006 11:07 AM

Mine says 6 months
Deeppowder

bat Mar 19th, 2006 11:10 AM

That is interesting because I think that the web site refers to a 3 month visa.

If someone sees this who got a visa on arrival--was it good for 3 months or 6?

Leely Mar 19th, 2006 11:18 AM

bat, mine says three months and we got it at the border. I believe it's 3 months in-country but the visa is valid for 6 months after you've gotten it (if you've gotten it ahead of time)--still, you can only spend 3 months there. So if you were staying for three months but wanted to get your visa in your home country, you wouldn't want to get it more than 6 months in advance.

I'm being horribly unclear today (cleaning solvents?), but do you understand what I mean?

bat Mar 19th, 2006 11:29 AM

I think so--cleaning solvents eh?

It seems that folks who might want to get the visa ahead of time--say at the embassy-have a larger window of time to get it than I originally thought--I believed that we had to get the visa within 3 months of our return from TZ date. Of course, I would recommend double checking to make sure they don't change it.

BTW, when do you leave and return in June?

deeppowder Mar 19th, 2006 11:39 AM

I just checked there website. If you go to forms and regulations it says 6month single entry visa and 3 month multible enty
Deeppowder

bat Mar 19th, 2006 11:50 AM

thanks for checking deeppowder.

Leely Mar 19th, 2006 11:51 AM

deeppowder,
That's interesting; then they must automatically give you the multiple entry visa at the border (unless I checked the wrong box last time!). But none of this matters, because you have your visa and you're ready to roll. When do you head out???

bat, cleaning sovents: I like to take lots of breaks, internet, back yard with yet another cup of coffee, etc., when I'm "cleaning" my house. We don't leave until June 15th. :( Maybe you'll have posted your photos by then?

bat Mar 19th, 2006 11:58 AM

leely:
When do you return?
Re Photos--I'll just refer everyone to Rocco's since our itineraries overlapped so much ;)

Leely Mar 19th, 2006 02:13 PM

bat,
We return June 29th. Just two short weeks, including travel.

bat Mar 19th, 2006 02:49 PM

I'll be in SF late June and I was going to suggest getting together for a drink but I am pretty sure I will miss you.

V_Town Mar 19th, 2006 03:08 PM

Following a post of Bat's a while back, I got our visas at the TZ embassy in Washington. We were in town chaperoning high school civics classes, and I took a taxi to the embassy, walked in with the correct papers (thanks, bat)and walked out with our visas in less than a half hour. The visas are simply stamped in our passports. The folks at the embassy were so nice, I can hardly wait to get to TZ. (I tried the same drop-in at the Kenyan embassy and it was the opposite: surly, contemptuous, and I still don't have visas.)

bat Mar 20th, 2006 04:36 AM

Hi V-town:
Half an hour-- I think that is a record!
I felt the same way--enhanced anticipation of the trip.

mcpats Nov 20th, 2007 02:30 PM

Does anyone know if a Canadian is able to get a Visa for Tanzania at the Kilimanjaro Airport or just in the airport at Dar Es Salaam? Thanks.

sandi Nov 20th, 2007 02:33 PM

At any legal point of entry of which JRO is the major one.

Just have application (download from Tanzania govt site) completed and present with USD$50 and the Canadian passport. No photos are required.

mcpats Nov 21st, 2007 11:55 AM

Thanks Sandi! Our TA was concerned about us not getting one here because we arrive at 8:30PM and are being picked up by the tour operator right away. However, I hear that it is a relatively quick process and that there is someone to complete the VISA in the evening.

sandi Nov 21st, 2007 12:25 PM

As long as flights are still arriving, the Visa and Immigration windows are open.

Getting visas can take 5/min or 20/min, but you still have to wait for your luggage. The meet/greet person will wait for you... don't worry.