Search

Tanzania Travel Agent?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tanzania Travel Agent?

I am in Toronto Canada and planning my first trip to Tz.in early June to see my daughter who is working in Kigoma. So I was thinking I could fly to Kigoma and together we would go to Mahale and Ruaha (her choices). Any advice on a good agent that could help me put this together as I find it rather overwhelming? Thank you for any advice you could give me!

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Roy's has been favorably mentioned. African Serendipity out of New York is great from my experience. You might want to look at the East Africa index to hear some reports mentioning tour operators:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34860283

Good luck,

Kevin from California
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 09:57 AM

I'd also contact Foxes Safaris www.tanzaniasafaris.info

They own Ruaha River Lodge and specialize in southern Tanzania.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM

Mingxa,
I have been planning a pretty extensive trip to Tanzania for about 1 1/2 years now!! I am finally going in Sept of this year, and will be going to Mahale and Ruaha. I have been working with David Barker, of Authentic Tanzania. He has extensive knowledge of the west and south of Tanzania, as that is all he
deals with. I have truly put him through the ringer over the last 18 months, as my itinerary has changed a million times, and I have bombarded him with emails, questions, lectures, changes....everything. He has been super cool, patient, and helpful. He works with all of the lodges in each park you are considering, and runs private tours in Ruaha as well. He can be emailed at [email protected]
Just tell him Billy Goldner gave you his name.

I will also be visiting Kenya on my trip, and I am using Kiliwarriors for that part...but I mention them because they also handle the parks you are looking at, and Eben has been to most of the lodges there and has incredible insight also.

Before sending in my deposits, I contacted the major lodges directly to enquire about both Authentic Tanzania and Kiliwarriors, and every one came back with glowing recommendations for both.

Hope this helps.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Also, if you have any questions you can contact me at [email protected].
the email listed next to the user name is my mother-in-laws, I piggyback on her membership as they no longer accept hotmail accounts for membership here, and I don't feel like getting a new email address!!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 10:29 AM

I wanted to add that I've also been in touch with David Barker in the past and agree that he'd be good to contact for a southern/western itinerary.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 11:50 AM

mingxa
There are some Tanzanian operators based at Kigoma and they also specialize in Mahale mtns
ask your daughter for their email address and then you can try them out for your trip as well
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Omagosh, this is great! some wonderful places to start. I had emailed Africa Adenture Travels and they got back to me that June, when we were planning to go, is not a good time so now we are rethinking the timetable altogether.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM

join us in September/October
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 02:03 PM

Mingxa:

As jenack mentioned, Eben from the KiliWarriors has incredible insight and set up a very nice safari for me last June. I was truly spoiled before, during and have been since my trip from Eben, Carol, Gilliard and Wilbert from the KiliWarriors.

Their website address is: http://www.kiliwarriors.com/

Have a great time,

Den
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM

Would have to second the notion of Foxes of Africa. We thoroughly enjoyed trip Jane arranged for us in 2005 and have made deposit with her for trip this coming May/June.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:47 AM

I am also in Toronto and despite my search I was unable to locate a Canadian based travel agent who could put together a custom private tour - everyone I looked at seemed to be simply reselling packaged tours.

We ended up using Tanzanian Odyssey, which was a London UK based company. We were very pleased with their detailed knowledge & ability to explain the pros and cons of various safari camps. Even if you end up using another agent, you should have a look at their website which has their views on many camps. I'm planning on using them again on our next trip.

On their recommendation we stayed at Mwagusi in Ruaha and we were very pleased with the accomodations, food and especially the quality of the guiding. The owner Chris Fox seems to be at the camp most of the time and takes a very hands on approach.

I haven't been to Mahale yet nor to Rwanda - this sounds like a great trip.

Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

So it sounds like June can still be a good time to go to the south? This is the time my daughter can take off from her work so I wanted to vacation with her but we would also like to see the animals, too.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 03:38 PM

mingxa, I can comment only on Selous, Ruaha and Mikumi for June visit. Viewing gets better and better from June on as water sources become scarcer particularly for Ruaha and Mikumi. Having said that we are looking forward to repeat visit (again in June) this year. Will be rare to see another vehicle for entire day and game is still plentiful although scattered a bit more. Since we stay at lodge along the Ruaha River various wildlife is readily available. Check out the East Africa trip report elsewhere on this board for copy of our report.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 07:50 AM

Mingxa: Although I haven't been to Tanzania in June I also understand that the southern parks dry up the game viewing improves - although in Selous much of it is centered on rivers and lakes in any event. Accordingly to the staff I spoke to in Ruaha it is also an issue there.

You also need to consider your airfares in making these bookings. We had to travel in late June, July or August because of our children's school vacation. If you end up travelling through London to Tanzania we found that the London to Tanzania flight increased in cost after the end of June. This might change each year and is worth checking out. Enjoy your safari.
Old Jan 20th, 2007, 09:34 AM

Hi Mingxa,

You should talk to Mike Haines at Safari and Co at www.safariandco.com I live in Vancouver and I'm leaving for Tanzania in 2 weeks! Mike was recommended by Nomad Safari (same as you, I was looking for a Canadian agent who does custom safaris) and Mike has been great and with very competitive pricing. Believe me, I checked out a lot of agents / operators from everywhere...

My itinerary includes Tarangire, Serengeti, Crater with Nomads, Sayari and Sopa Lodge at the Crater.

Let me know if you've any questions! Have fun and say hi to Mike for me (tell him I'm the one from Vancouver who bugged him incessantly...)

AA

Old Jan 27th, 2007, 05:49 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. Kiliwarriors is all booked up. I am getting quotes from others but we have deceided to go north to the Serengeti for a 5 day safari, then back to Kigoma where we can then maybe go to visit the refugee camps she works at for the rest of the time. That will be quite an experience for me.
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

africaAnxious,I see the company you are using is from Toronto. I did email them and I plan on calling Monday as well. Its harder than I thought to deceid what and where to go. I guess 5 days is a short safari so right off the bat some companies were not at all interested in quoting me anything.Are you going on one of their luxury trips? Quite the website they have!
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 06:33 PM

mingxa:

I am so pleased you gave the KiliWarriors a try but sorry they were too booked to help you with this trip!

I had my trip booked with them before I discovered this forum but I think it is obvious there are many grand companies to choose from with the recommendations from these savvy travelers!

Best of luck to you!

Den
Old Jan 28th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou Denbasking. I plan on spending all day nailing something down. Nothing much else to do on this snowy cold morning!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -