Tanzania Serengeti Adventures

Apr 8th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania Serengeti Adventures

Hello everybody,

We found the best quote at a company called Tanzania Serengeti Adventures. Does anybody have experience with them? I would like to get some references, so our honeymoon will go as planned!
Apr 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM

Hi Marynus:

We recently booked our January 2006 safari with TSA based on responses to our questions and price. I had contacted several outfitters for quotes and TSA seemed to fit our needs.

I also did a fairly thorough reference check with previous customers. TSA was happy to supply a list of previous clients. I emailed several and received very favorable responses. In fact, I had ongoing email conversations with a few and really asked some detailed questions such as quality of guides, type of vehicle, any problems encountered, and would they use TSA again. In fact, a couple of references stated that they are in the process of re-booking with them.

We sent our deposit about three weeks ago and now we just have to wait for next January!

Good luck with your decision.

Apr 8th, 2005, 04:07 PM

By the way Marynus, what's your itinerary like?
Apr 8th, 2005, 07:21 PM

TSA organized a group trip for a number of students at my school and everyone highly recommended them. However, they wanted more money for the trip I am planning so I won't be using them.
Apr 10th, 2005, 11:55 PM
Original Poster

Hi Cocco!

The itenary for our honeymoon!

Sept 12: Arusha
Sept 13: Tarangire Sopa
Sept 14: E-Unoto Retreat Manyara
Sept 15: Ngorongoro Farm House
Sept 16: Ndutu Safari Lodge
Sept 17: Migration Tented Luxury lodge
Sept 18: Migration Tented Luxury lodge
Sept 19: Fly from Serengeti to Pemba
Sept 19: Fundu lagoon - beachside room
Sept 20: Fundu lagoon - beachside room
Sept 21: Fundu lagoon - beachside room
Sept 22: Fundu lagoon - beachside room
Sept 23: Fundu lagoon - beachside room
Sept 24: Fundu lagoon - beachside room
Sept 25: Flight from Pemba to Dar es salaam.
Apr 11th, 2005, 06:21 AM
sandi

Marynus -

I notice that you are traveling in September and wonder why, with the Migration taking place in the Masai Mara in Kenya, you are NOT spending anytime here?

The Tarangire is excellent for September and it would be good to spend at least 2-full days here. There is a mini-migration taking place and the scenery and landscapes are beautiful.

As to Nduto in the Southeast Serengeti - nothing is happening here at this time of the year. And while Migration Camp is lovely, you will find that unless the rains come early (questionnable) the herds will still be in the Mara is Kenya.

I would definitely try to get at minimum 3-days in the Mara for the time you are traveling.

Apr 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Marynus,
You may also want to consider reducing the number of one nighters in your itinerary. You have 4 of them in a row which could get rather tiring, moving from place to place everyday.
Apr 12th, 2005, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the help!!

The agency told me that the migration camp will be set up close to the migration. If they are still in kenya, the driver will drive from the camp to the Migration.

You would like to suggest to scrap the Ndutu and add a night to Tarangire?

We thought that with the relatively short safari it would be a bad idea to go both to the Mara and Tanzania (losing too much time travelling). I agree on the fact that we will be moving every day, but the moving will be on a way through the beautiful nature, isn't it?
Apr 12th, 2005, 03:50 AM

Hi Marynus

Unless I am misreading this read, there appears to be some serious miscommunication between yourself and TSA!!

1. The Migration Camp is a fixed structure. While nice and with some resident wildlife nearby in the woods, it is in the north of the Serengeti - you will drive long distances to get there. Considering that the best viewing in September in the Serengeti is in the central areas, this may well be an unnecessary drive - BUT I will admit that the honeymoon tent is worth the drive!

2. Ndutu is pointless as others have noted. An overnight there just adds unnecessary miles and you are driving a lot already.

3. E-Unoto. I do like this Maasai supported lodge but as long as you know that it is far away from Lake Manyara NP then it is OK. There is no wildlife anywhere near this lodge.

4. The TSA comments about the Migration are completely false. The Migration WILL be in Kenya unless something really strange happens! And driving into Kenya on your itinerary is near impossible.

With all this strange information you're getting from TSA, I am questioning their service. This is purely based on what I read here.
Apr 12th, 2005, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

Wait before you judge, I will first recheck my mails. Maybe the errors are coming from my side!
Apr 14th, 2005, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Just got an email back on my questions to the operator.

-The migration is supposed to be in the Masai Mara in the period we are traveling. Do you think we will be able to see anything of the migration?

TSA REPLY:
This is the reason why I have recommended 2 nights at Migration Luxury Tented Camp north of Serengeti, as we expect based on previous experiences the migration will be more to the north of Serengeti, near the border, so during the full day on Sept 18th, the driver will drive north of Serengeti and if possible cross over into Mara for the day ( however, if there should be any fee by officials, you will require to pay them directly whilst at the border )

Note: This is not a official border post, so sometimes depending on official there, he may allow you to enter for the day only, any may charge you a fee.

-According to reports on the internet, the area around Ndutu will not have a lot of wildlife in the period that we are going, what do you think?

TSA REPLY:
I recommended Ndutu due to following reason:
a) The drive from Ngorongoro to Migration is too long.
b) Ndutu Safari Lodge is very natural setting and many honeymooners like it very much, although you may not be able to see the migration, you should be able to see wildlife, there is also a resident Elephant where you get very close to.
I believe you will like the experience.

I am a bit afraid that we will be driving very, very much and will miss a lot of wildlife, because we will not be in the right area at the right time.

TSA REPLY:
The only long drive during the trip on bad road is from Ngorongoro to Migration, that is why I really believe Ndutu would cut off the drive and at the same time you would enjoy the Place.
You will see lots in Tarangire, Manyara, and Ngorongoro its all a different and fanstastic experience, the road are mostly tarmac ( between these lodges )
Apr 15th, 2005, 03:56 AM

Hi Marynus

I am perplexed by at least part of TSA's response!

1. Migration Camp: Hmmm. TSA is rather confident and they may just be right but I would still vote for the Mara in mid-September!

FYI, in 2004, two things happened in Sep/Oct. Tanzania authorities burnt grass near the border with the Masai Mara in the Northern Serengeti (to the dismay of the Kenyans) that started to show greeen in mid-September and some Wildebeest left the Mara briefly to feast on the new grass. They promptly returned to the Mara afterwards causing a "2nd migration". A rain burst in the Mara caused a southward movement at the end of Sept. Then no more rain in the Northern Serengeti and the movement south came to a halt - with masses of wildebeest staying in the Mara until about November 10. And then they moved South very quickly and to the West of the Serengeti through the woods. To see them, you had to be at the right place at the right time, as they were gone within 24-hours.

Seeing the migration in the open plains of the Mara is completely different than the wooded areas northwest and the scattered tree areas northeast of the Migration camp.

It really all depends how serious you are about seeing the Migration as it is depicted in films and pictures!

2. Ndutu: Here I completely disagree with TSA. Going to the Migration Camp from Ngorongoro via Ndutu adds considerable miles! It is MUCH better to overnight in the Seronera area if they want to break up the drive. IMO Ndutu Lodge in Sep is not worth the extra miles.

Apr 15th, 2005, 04:24 AM
sandi

Marynus -

Climbhighsleeplow is right on regarding Nduto Lodge. You should be moving straight on to your destination, if Migration Camp - heading north; not take off by miles in the opposite direction. Anywhere in the Central/Seronera area is better.

Granted, most all reputable outfitters won't allow their guide/driver to do the trip from Ngorongoro to Northern Serengeti in one-day - too hard on them and you, Nduto would not be recommended.

And the idea of being able cross into the Mara? Don't count on it. Yes, Migration Camp is lovely, as is the honeymoon suite/tent - but you should be spending time in the Mara.

In the Mara, you can find many small romantic camps and have the added experience of enjoy the Migration where it is taking place.

Last years, another poster was provided a similar "all Tanzania" itinerary for September and not till I suggested they should be in Kenya's Mara, were they even aware of it. Fortunately, they were able to obtain a few days in the Mara and later commented that this was probably their best experience of their itinerary.

I would reconsider for a few days (minimum 3) in the Mara.

Apr 15th, 2005, 06:14 AM
Original Poster

I am starting to get a bit worried now.
I certainly hope taht it is possible to change the itinerary!!

Thank you for the advice and I will comment on how we will change the trip...

Search this Thread