Search

Clothing Help Needed!

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clothing Help Needed!

With our trip to South Africa just 4 weeks away now, I have been going back over what I am taking with me and realizing that I really only have one heavier shirt. I am quite concerned that I will end up wearing it constantly and offend everyone around ! Unfortunately it is late in the year here in the US to be buying chamois shirts or flannel shirts. I have checked almost every website and none of them have a women's shirt available. Have any of you women tried getting a men's shirt and how has the size worked out? I've often found that men's shirts have sleeves that are too long for me (although if worse comes to worst I will just roll them up). Any thoughts?
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:09 PM

I have multiple answers to this...

First, everyone will be layering their clothes to get the most use out of all of their pieces but still keep the overall weight down. Not only will others not care if you wear the same thing over and over again, they'll be wearing their clothes multiple times too! Last August I just took one long sleeve Ex Officio type shirt and varied layers with long & short sleeved T-shirts and a jacket.

Second, try Landsend.com and look in their overstocks - they have a women's flannel shirt there that may work for you (in large & extra large). LLbean.com also has two different women's flannel shirts. Eddiebaueroutlet.com has a celadon color flannel shirt in small & medium... Also check REI - they have a number of long sleeve tops that might work and several items in their outlet that are for cooler seasons.

Third, how about something different - fleece, corduroy, etc. (The eddiebauer outlet has a couple of corduroy shirts).

Good luck!
Old May 19th, 2005, 02:14 PM
sandi

Just layer two long sleeve t-shirts; a long sleeve tee over a short sleeve tee; a thermal tee under whatever else you're wearing on top. As to men's shirts... of course, the sleeves are too long, so we roll them up. If this is specific for game drives, remember that most camp vehicles have blankets under which you can bundle yourself when the ranger is hauling. But I've found that a scarf and gloves are best and if you're a hat wearer, have one.

I'm leaving next week for Tanzania & Kenya and this is the first time, of my many trips (usually travel in November), that I'm traveling in so-called winter with cold mornings and nights... packing "so heavy" - not weight, but thermal tees, gloves, a sweater, fleece anorak, and socks! Please! The pashmina comes with me regardless, for the plane, so dual purpose this time around. I'm not a happy camper about this, but you do what you gotta do.

I can guarantee none of us look as if we're ready for a Vogue/Bazaar photo shoot on "what to wear on safari." So roll-up those sleeves and enjoy your trip.

Old May 19th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Original Poster

Vogue I'm not under the best of circumstances, and you're right - it's about enjoying the trip. I tried several of the outlet online sites and found a really nice flannel shirt and a corduroy shirt that I liked and wouldn't you know they were all sold out in my size (except for the grape color which I didn't think was great for a safari). So, the men's chamois shirt from LL Bean it is. Now I just have to decide if I get the same color as my husband and have us be twins or go with a plaid ! I'll probably get what I like which means we'll be twins. Too bad - he'll just have to deal with it ;-).
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:50 PM

Sandi:

Another thing that works well in their "winter" season is a fleece jacket. I got one at Eastern Mountain Sports several years ago and it has come in handy. I can wear it on the plane when I'm chilly. Stil wear shorts and sleeveless blouses in Kenya but if the morning is cool I just throw on the fleece jacket and by the time the game drive is over I'm back to sleeveless blouse. Can also be balled up to use as a pillow if you wish. When not needed I pack it.

Jan
Old May 19th, 2005, 04:55 PM

I had the same problem. Boys' extra large was the secret.

3 days and counting!
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:02 AM
sandi

Thanks Jan, and yes, I will have the fleece anorak as my top piece... and those socks. It's just so strange this time around to be packing such items. The rest is my usual "safari stuff"

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:25 AM

Another idea, silk underwear--www.wintersilks.com--very light , very warm--used it in Alaska and for skiing and for golf before summer weather hits.I live in Wisconsin, there are lots of days to get use from them!!
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

I never thought about getting the boys extra large. Too late now, I ordered the men's small, but I'll keep that in mind in the future. I do have some long underwear in, mostly for sleeping in, but it can also be worn to stay warm in the early morning. My really nice fleec that worked well in Alaska is, unfortunately, bright red, so I think I want to avoid taking that. I think I'll be in good shape with the chamois shirts and layers. 28 days and counting!
Old May 20th, 2005, 10:22 AM

I will be in Namibia and Botswana in mid-late Sept. I plan to dress in layers, but when faced with a weight limit, it's difficult to get everything in. Just how cold are thse morning drives after all?
Old May 20th, 2005, 05:13 PM

We were in Boyswana August - September 5 years ago and when we got up it was around 45-55 and warmed up to 80 in the middle of the day. I would expect it to be a little warmer in later September. Do not know about Namibia.