Tanzania/Serena or Tree Tops Hotel??

Jun 26th, 2005, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania/Serena or Tree Tops Hotel??

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding nice hotels to stay in, during a safari to Tanzania? I have been recommended both Serena Hotels and Treetops Hotels. . .and I am wondering which is a better option?
Thanks!
Jun 27th, 2005, 06:00 AM
sandi

Tree Tops is at Tarangire and is quite lovely and recently received very good reviews - it is not a hotel, but a tree camp. There is no Serena at Tarangire. Serena Lodges (no hotels as listed below) are found at Lake Manyara, Ngorongoro Crater, the Central Serengeti and their Kirawira Camp in the Western Serengeti.

What does your entire itinerary look like? Where (parks/reserves), number of days, accommodations, what time of year traveling and with whom are you booking your safari.

It would be easier to comment if we see an entire itinerary.

Jul 13th, 2005, 05:44 PM

We stayed at the Serena lodges at Lake Manyara (1 night), Ngorongoro (3 nights), and the main lodge in the Serengeti (3 nights). We were there in late Dec/ early Jan.

All of the lodges were great, and the food options were quite varied and even suitable for picky kids. We fit 4 of us in a room (kids were under 11 at the time), but it would have been easier with 2 rooms.

Each had it's own uniqueness. We loved the common outdoor areas at the Lake Manyara lodge, and the view of the rift valley was lovely. We especially liked the view of the white peaked roofs of the huts perched on the cliff edge as we flew into Lake Manyara.

The Ngorongoro Crater lodge was probably our favorite (can't beat the views from the balconies), but it was a little chilly to be outside due to the altitude and the lounge area was quite smokey. My younger son suffered quite a bit from the smoke, but the waitstaff was great - always bringing him a wet cloth for his eyes whenever we sat down.

The Serengeti Serena was our least favorite, but that was mainly due to a table of very rude lunch-only guests who insisted on smoking in the non-smoking section of the restaurant. I didn't feel the waitstaff was very helpful and we ended up being the ones who had to move. Granted, it was over New Year's and they were clearly training new people - but the signs were posted on the tables. That one incident really brought down the lodge in our view.

A few notes -

All the lodges had nice gift shops, but if you see something you like - BUT IT THEN. I missed out on a couple of things because I thought I could just wait to the next stop.

At the Serengeti, I was not able to get a plug adapter for my hairdryer (it was 220, but a different plug), so bring your own or ask early.

All the lodges has interesting nightly entertainment - from singing by local school children to jumping Masai warriors.

Jul 13th, 2005, 06:36 PM

I agree with sandi. Please post your itinerary so others can make accomodation suggestions. As far as I know Treetops is a single camp in Tarangire which has received excellent reviews here and Serena is a chain of lodges/camps in several parks (but not Tarangire), so it's a bit difficult to understand what you're asking us to compare.

Search this Thread