tanzania/safari questions

May 27th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

tanzania/safari questions

i'm leaving next week for tanzania--a couple questions i can't seem to find the answers to:

can i purchase mosquito netting once i get to tanzania or should i bring it with me, and if so where in the U.S. can i buy it?

i'm planning to do a budget safari for about 4 days--camping outside, etc.--can i organize this once i get to tanzania or should i try to book something now? it seems that it's more common to book only the more expensive safaris in advance--is it a bad plan to just go to arusha with a friend and find a safari guide/organization there? can anyone recommend a good one?

also: i REALLY want to see the great migration while i'm there, but i can't get an idea of travel times on the serengeti. if i leave from arusha for a 4 or 5 day safari, will it be possible to get to the northwest corner of the park, where the herds, it seems, tend to be found at this time of year (late june)? or will i just see a bit of the southeast part of the park where i start from?

thanks for your answers!!
May 27th, 2009, 02:33 PM
aby

bronwyn9

camping outside = tent; tents have nets
if you still want to buy one of course you can get in Arusha, but why spend time running around?

Getting a good 4X4 car, is not always easy, IMO it's better to order in advance
It is advisable to have an experienced driver-guide
vs. collecting, at the last moment, someone with a driver's license to take you on safari...
Some companies have permanent campsites in Serengeti

Check the big companies like Ranger's and Leopard
then check some (reputable) small operators
i can recommend Mauly Tours & Safaris a cute reliable company

In a 5 day safari you can theoretically go up north, but it would be rushing those distances (and not stopping at Ngorongoro)

aby
May 27th, 2009, 03:49 PM

Can you elaborate on "cute reliable?" Thank you.
May 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM

Wow, I'd take a net along. We love Tanzania, but it's important to know that things are not as easy to find there. Crossing the serengeti won't take that long, make sure you have a good working GPS - with a local guide or by yourselves, you might miss turns etc...., the markings just aren't great is all.

Tent camping is not permitted in much of the Serengeti, there are a few military style cabin places tho....

The biggest thing is that it takes so long to get places because the roads are so very bad. I agree that you also need a really good reliable 4x4 with 2 fuel tanks.

Have fun Tanzania is a wonderful place, just not for beginners!

Lily
May 28th, 2009, 02:43 AM

In the US netting can be purchased at Cabela's. It's pretty cheap.

Lily
May 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM

No need to go to the northern area of Serengeti for June. The migrating herds can be found in the Western corridor.

Best to arrange prior arrival and even budget camping tents are protected. No need for mossie nets.

The drive straight out from Arusha to the Western Serengeti can take a good 8-10/hrs. which is much of 1/day.
May 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Oh, you're going in June. That cuts out some of your anticipated travel time and distance and cost. I agree with Sandi about choosing W. Serengeti.

If you only go as far as Central Serengeti, can't you drive over to Western during the day for the herds, assuming that's were they are? I think that's an option. For a short trip, maybe that would work.
May 29th, 2009, 09:57 AM

I would have suggested booking a tour in advance, but it is possible to book on the ground. Just make sure if you book on the ground you do it by locating an office yourself, not following the direction of a tout. Zara Tours specializes in budget tours and you can find them online. They go out of Moshi though.
Usually tour companies are going to use two days to get you to the Serengeti, stopping the first night in Ngoronogoro, where it can actually get quite cold in the Highlands during night.
Don't worry about vehicles or campsites, those will all be included in your safari and be part of the cost. Talk on the ground to a guide about seeing the migration and let them choose what part of the Serengeti you visit. The migration is unpredictable and lasts between June and Oct and is dependent upon rains- which are lacking this year in Northern Tz. If you don't get the chance to see the bulk of the migration, don't sweat it- you'll still have an awesome safari. Consider going into Ngoronogoro Crater if it is within your time frame and budget. I think 5 days should be enough.
Don't worry about bringing a mosquito net, the guesthouses will all have them and your tent is an adequate barrier