Tanzania safari in November

Feb 12th, 2006, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania safari in November

Hi All,
We are planning a trip to Tanzania for our honeymoon in November and need some much needed advice from you experts out there.
Our Itinerary is as follows:
Arrive 23 November:
2 Nights in Kili at the KIA lodge.
Then fly to Seronera Airstrip from Kili.
2 nights Migration Camp.
2 nights Serena Serengeti Lodge.
2 nights Ngorongoro Serena.
Finally we drive back to Kili to catch an onward flight to Zanibar.
We have quotes from 3 different operators - incl 4WD private car and english speaking guide for USD 3100 approx per person safari only.
Our Questions:
Is this a good rate for this type of Safari?
We have been offered Mountain Village Serena Lodge in Kili (as opposed to KIA lodge) - which would you rcommend?
We would hope to do a one day 'trek' to Kili - are there any one day excursions that anyone would suggest?
In the Migration Camp are we too far north to maybe catch a glimpse of The Migration?
Would we be better flying in Lobo than the Seronera Airstrip?
We have heard that the Serena Serengeti is a bit far from the wildlife. Are there any other camps/lodges that you would be able to recommend? (same type of standard if poss).
Is 6 nights/7 days enough time for this type of safari/experience!
If we can take one day from our week in Zanzibar and add it too our safari, would this be recommended and if so where should we spend the extra night?
Also, Is JRO, Kilimanjaro International Airport?
I have been trying to log onto the airline websites like Precision Air and Coastal Air but cannot seem to get a quote or timings of flights from Arusha/JRO to Zanzibar. Would anyone have any advice on how to get these details?

Apologies for all the questions but any information you can throw our way would be most helpful.

Thanks, Skryne
Feb 12th, 2006, 03:01 PM
sandi

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

KIA lodge is located a short drive from JRO, whereas the Serena Mountain Village is in Arusha (about 40-min drive). The latter is a nicer hotel expecially if staying 2-days.

Your tour operator should be able to advise if there is a mini-Kili trek (or let Eben pop in here... he's the xpert).

Nobody can tell you for certain exactly where the migrating herds will be in November - anywhere from the north to central Serengeti. But as a strong believer of "saving the best for last" I'd reverse the itinerary and do Migration Camp at the end. You can easily drive to Ngorongoro (Serena), then the Serengeti (Serena), ending at Migration and fly from here back to Arusha for ongoing to ZNZ.

Your tour operator should also be able to arrange your flight from Arusha to ZNZ and your accommodations on the island. Where were you planning on staying here? No need to try to find the Precision or Coastal flight scheduled... besides they do change.

If you can take a day from your time in ZNZ, I'd put it to another day in the Serengeti. If budget allows you can add it to Migration Camp, otherwise to the Serena. And, as long as your outfitter doesn't have daily mileage limits, your game drives can take you wherever the herds and other game can be found.

Yes, JRO is Kilimanjaro Intl Airport.

Hope this helps.

Feb 13th, 2006, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi,

Thanks for opinions/ideas - they are most helpful. Reversing the trip is something we didn't think about, but it sounds like a great idea. Our original itinerary was based on reading other posters trips on this forum - Lisa's trip in one that sticks out - same time of year, same lodges etc (unfortunately i won't have the same standard of photography!!). In ZNZ, we will be staying at the Breezes, for 7 nights, so as you can see we have plenty of time there and the possibility to add an extra day to the safari is an option - will have to start counting the pennies. We will get back to the tour operator as you suggest and see what they say. Thanks a mil again for your help.

Skryne
Feb 15th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Hi Skryne:

Congrats on your wedding/honeymoon!

I also going to East Africa for two weeks in November and have been investigating flights on various discount websites. Because of the number of flights involved (NY-Nairobi-Kigali, Kigali-Nairobi-Kili and Dar-Nairobi-NY), I wanted to book everything at once with one codeshare group so I wouldn't risk missing connections, etc.

Currently the best price is calling Kenya Airways for $1750 pp (Virgin/KA is less expensive than NW/KLM). Is that high/low for the Nov. season? How/where did you book your flight(s) to Tanzania?

Many thanks for all of your help.

Search this Thread