Notices

Tanzania safari in november

May 24th, 2014, 11:00 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania safari in november

Hello all I am planning my first trip to tanzania in Africa. The period would be end of October or November but it could be flexible depending on where the wildebeest migration is. Please suggest me a good time period, an itenary and tour operators to book a reasonable trip. I am not too interested beaches but would like to include mt kilimanjaro. I would be with my husband and travelling from India. Thoughts and suggestions welcome.
May 26th, 2014, 12:54 PM

End Oct into Nov is the 'short' rainy period, but never any guarantee of wet; if so, expect brief amazing thunderstorms or overnight/morning showers.

The migration is over at that time as herds start returning from Kenya's Masai Mara, but there are many herds left on the Tanzania side at the very North where there are few camps, many of which are rather costly.

Once the herds are in Tanzania moving south towards Central and then finally at Ndutu usually be January, they do wander in all directions but the guides do manage to locate them.

For names of reputable/responsible Tanzania tour outfitters, check the Trip Advisor site, www.tripadvisor.com/forums, select Africa, select Tanzania. Here on this page in the right column with Freq. Asked Questions, Item #4 has a good list to contact. Or you can go to the TATOTZ site of many other outfitters.

You can do safari itself with abut 8-9/days if you wish to head to the No. Serengeti. For a full Kili trek, you need minimum 7/days to allow for acclimization. If you don't wish an entire trek, you can do a short day trip part way up.

Good luck!
May 28th, 2014, 01:02 AM

Wildlife viewing in Serengeti National Park is good throughout the year, but certain areas are better at specific times. The dry season (from late June to September) offers the best wildlife viewing in general- with the wildebeest migration as its absolute highlight.The timing of the migration varies every year (the best chance of seeing it is during June and July) while the wildebeest calving is from late January to February.
Also Ngorongoro crater is best place to visit.is only You might expect to see the ‘Big Five’ in one day
Kilimanjaro it depend routes,
The Machame route is scenically beautiful and varied 6 days trekking
Marangu route 5 days trek or 6 days if you want to have acclimatization day at Horombo hut
try to contact Borderless Tours & Safaris (www.borderlesstours.com) they will arrange your program according to your request
With regards
Jun 4th, 2014, 06:25 AM

I've investigated a Nov Tanz trip and have questioned guides about that time frame. My takeaway: Fewer people, a good time in Central Serengeti, some rain but early enough in the season that the grass is not real high.

For late Oct to Nov, the wilde migration would probably be north to central Serengeti, perhaps eastern side of central. In general, the closer to Oct, the further north for the wildes; the further into Nov, the more central.

Nov usual gives a price break over June-Oct high season. If Oct, you'd likely still have high season rates and high season rates and camps in northern Serengeti are some of the most expensive rates in Tanz.

You mention Kili. Are you climbing or just admiring it from the ground? There are views from many hotels/lodges around Arusha IF Kili cooperates. It is often shrouded in clouds. If Kili views are very important, spend a couple of days in Arusha. Arusha Nat Park is great forest habitat and you can walk with a ranger or canoe.

Have a great time!

Search this Thread