Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tanzania Safari-Frst Timer Help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tanzania-safari-frst-timer-help-856981/)

hefty64 Aug 29th, 2010 01:05 PM

Tanzania Safari-Frst Timer Help!

My wife and I have tentatively decided to do our dream Safari next Aug-Sep. Just started researching a few days ago. Wow! Confusion reigns. The prices offered by the various tour companies differ dramatically, without any initial obvious big difference.

I am looking for around 8 days or so in Africa/Tanzania and would like my total price including airfare from the East Coast to be around $5,000-$6,000 per person at most.

My main question at this point. I have sort of honed in on two operators-Basecamp safaris and United Travel Group. These both appear to have reasonably priced "packaged" safaris. Has anyone had experience with either one of these, and is this type of "pre-packaged" safari the way to go for a newcomer? Frankly, I didn't know there were any other options, but it appears most of the folks on this forum opt for other operators like FIsh Eagle or Travel Beyond and craft their own safari. Is this a more cost effective method and is it reasonable for a first timer to attempt. (Travelled a lot, just not to Africa). Any comments/suggestions on tour operators are recommended!

sandi Aug 29th, 2010 01:49 PM

Welcome to the forum.

If you wish a pre-packaged tour, then you're set with the outfitters set departure dates, where you visit and where you stay for the number of days they dictate and with strangers which can be 4/additional people. That's the reason many here choose to design their own itineraries. And, no most folks don't necessarily use Fish Eagles or Travel Beyond. However, some choose do use other "named" outfitters, but at much higher budgets than you have. But, using the search function above you'll find a list of often used tour operators, outfitters or safari planners.

With your budget, traveling in peak season, figure your air into Kilimanjaro will range from $1,500-$1,800 (it might be more for next year). What's left is for your land portion, but realize you still have expenses for: Visa $100/person, gratuities for guides/staff, beverages, trip insurance, Flying Doctors cover and malaria meds and inoculations.

Basecamp in Tanzania gets good reviews and I'm sure they can put together a private safari to fit your budget. However, it's suggested you get quotes from 4-5/companies (either Stateside or in Tanzania) for comparision... send each the same requirements; be sure you're comparing apples-to-apples. And, I would suggest if you can, stretch the safari to 10/days so you won't feel harried after the long flights.

Feel free to return here with questions or further details on what's being considered.

atravelynn Aug 29th, 2010 02:08 PM

There are all sorts of companies people on this forum use, including Fish Eagle and Travel Beyond. Check this index for the names of many and the trip reports.
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...port-index.cfm

Fabio went with Basecamp
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...rip-report.cfm

I've lots of UTC vehicles around.
Is prepackaged the way to go? If you would like to travel with others, then it is. But do compare what that same itinerary for just your party would be. Or make a few changes to the set itinerary that would better suit you.

If you post the itineraries of interest and the dates you wish to travel, you can get more specific advice.

roissy17 Aug 29th, 2010 03:49 PM

With Good Earth Tours you can have a private safari and start any of their packages on any day of the week as long as you have two people. You can also add days and make changes to the itinerary or to the lodgings, which will either increase or subtract from the price. My daughter and I were first timers to Africa last August and after much research, and many visits to this forum, decided to go with Good Earth. This arrangement worked out perfectly for us: we had a private safari with a great guide for the price of a package tour. You can click on my name for our photos & mini report. Have fun planning!

mkulove Aug 29th, 2010 03:53 PM

I highly recommend United Travel Group. Ask for Hema. This is my company of choice. If you are looking at their 'Plains of Tanzania' 9 day program, your budget is right on target. And you CAN take this tour any time, the only requirement is that you need to depart US on a Tuesday. You may very well be having a private tour, depending if there are others. This is a good company with good reputation and a long time in the industry. They deliver what they promise. Good luck and let us know your decision.

mkude Aug 29th, 2010 05:14 PM

I second Good Earth. Or at least so far. I will be using them for my trip in two weeks. They've gotten lots of good reviews.

gpotvin Aug 30th, 2010 02:30 PM

My wife and I used Roy Safaris in Jamuary 2010 and were assisted by Susan Wood of Away to Africa (http://www.awaytoafricasafaris.com/index.html). Susan is in New Hampshire, so we were able to converse by phone in addition to e-mail. We created a six day/five night private safari (two nights at Serengeti Sopa, two nights at Ngorongoro Sopa and one night at Lake Manyara Serena. The cost was about $4600 for two - park entrance fees, which were included are $50/person per day. We like to be spontaneous and our driver was great about letting us sit and watch animals rather than forcing us to meet some special schedule.

pepnjak Sep 2nd, 2010 04:26 PM

My husband and I leave Sept 8 for our trip to Tanzania.We are using our United Miles departing from Seattle.We are staying 5 days in London(we've never been) before we go onto Tanzania.(Did you know with United miles you get off one way,one time and stay as long as you want where ever the plane lands) We fly into Dar es salaam,we are taking 2 nights there to recover from the flight.We then fly to Arusha and will explore that area,visiting a local school and home for one day. Next on our agenda is a 6 day 5 night safari. We are using Super Tours out of Arusha. They have been awesome aswering all of my question and listening to what our specific interests are...I will post when I return.They are picking us up at our Inn and returning us to our lodging near Mtn. Kilmanjaro. Our safari offers average lodging,but all rated highly by trip advisor,is costing us $4000 for the 2 of us. When we return from our safari we are spending a few nights at the base of Mtn. Kilmanjaro and then onto Zanzibar.We will not be back to Africa so we wanted to do more than a safari.

If you are in an area that has a Safeway store you can do the shots of your choice there for $45 consultation fee..less than a doctors visit or the government health centers.

Our lodging (other than our first 2 nights) range around $80 a night for the 2 of us including breakfast.

Enjoy your planning...hope to post a bit of a report when we return Oct 4.

pepnjak Sep 2nd, 2010 05:17 PM

oops..its superbtourssafaris NOT super tours! Guess I'm hoping it will be Super!