Tanzania Safari Diary pictures

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a pure novice at this picture posting deal, so this may not work. Cutting down the 2,600 pictures to 850 wasn't too hard, but cutting those down to 180 was pretty tough, but this will give you a representative sampling of what we saw. If you feel a sense of deja vu, that may be because most of my pictures are similar to what those who have gone before have seen.

If you are expecting a lot of quality photos, don't -- I just point and shoot. I haven't included a ton of animal photos, because frankly they don't hold a candle to many that have been posted by real photographers, and you have all seen them all before anyway. But my photos will fit in my scrapbook nicely and remind me of what we saw. The pictures are generally in sequence and follow my written Tanzania Safari Diary fairly well, if you want to bother trying to wade through all of that. I haven't finished the Diary yet, so the pictures will give a preview of what's coming. Pretty scary, huh?

I also noticed that it looks like the pictures are cropped on the sides on Picasa, so you may miss some edges.

Anyway, try this link, I hope (I guess) that it works.

http://tinyurl.com/38a8zl
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:14 PM

These are great photos!! Love the elephant eye and you have some wonderful lion and landscape ones.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 02:43 PM

Nice sunset and moonlight shots! Great to have these to go along with your report. Thanks.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:56 AM

nice pictures!
Did you enjoy the canoeing on small momella lake with Green Footprint?

did you went balooning yourself as well?
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 06:06 AM

ok stupid question; i see the pictures from the balloon lol..

(fodors when are we getting an 'edit' option pleeeeaaase)
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Nikao, re the canoeing with Green Footprint

It was a very enjoyable two hours, except that some of us were a little concerned when Herman (the very personable GF guide) told us that there were hippos (“the most dangerous animal in Africa,” he said) in the lake. We did indeed see two pairs of hippos, but they (or more likely we) kept their distance, and Herman said there is really no danger unless you do something dumb. We saw lots of birds, a bushbuck, giraffes, a monkey, a hare, and a small herd of buffaloes (“the meanest animal in Africa,” Herman said) on the banks, while we gently paddled along with the slopes of Mount Kilimanjaro on one side and Mount Meru on the other. We recommend Arusha National Park as a pleasant place to spend a day, with the canoeing as an added highlight.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 09:47 AM

Your pictures started in the Alps. Looked like some nice canoeing at Arusha with the buffalo along the banks. Nicely posed ostrich pair. Good agama shot! The baboons at Manyara are just how I remember them. Some of the largest troops I’ve seen. Beautiful Manyara sunset. The giraffe on the Olakira Flats are impressive and so are the climbing wildebeests.

Thanks for posting the pictures after narrowing down from thousands.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:54 AM

nice that you saw al these animals from the lake. When we went canoeing, we only saw some waterbucks and giraffes. And of course the hippo´s. One popped above water suddenly only 10m in front of us. That was indeed quite exciting.
But hippo´s are the most dangerous on land, when you´re in their way to the water.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM

Enjoyed the pictures!!! Favorite had to be the mud-covered cape buffalo. And, please don't shy away from sharing pictures of wildlife. Yours were great! And, that is one way some of us relive our trips. Was also nice to have captions particularly in regards to lodging, etc. I also appreciate culling efforts. I really don't want to see a dozen of the same animal especially when some are blurry, way off color, etc. Dick