Tanzania report, February 5

Feb 4th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania report, February 5

[this is an abridged version of a very long post that I attempted more than 4 times over the past few days, but it never showed up in the threads....]

Following Bill's lead, here is a status of what is going on right now in northern Tanzania. I am currently in Arusha, taking off for another safari tomorrow morning.

* Ngorongoro is challenging at the moment, but some amazing sightings are happening right now, with the exception of cheetah, as they are rarely found in the crater during wet months.

* Lake Manyara is very nice, as we saw a mating pair of lions in the trees just above our rover. tough to photograph, but a wonderful sighting to have them in the trees less than 10 feet away. Flamingos are too far away to view. I was on the other side of Lake Manyara today at Ol Tukai conservancy (taking maasai portraits all day, will post later), and the flamingos are definitely on the eastern side of the lake as well. Could be a great place to photograph if you arrange with the right people.

* Serengeti - Gol kopjes - Gol kopjes is very nice at the moment, as there are some wildebeest herds still in the area. Definitely most of the herd is south of Ndutu right now. The Serengeti park service has completely taken away off road driving at Gol kopjes, which really chaps my hide. Many roads have been taken away from us over the past few years (Moru to Ndutu, Loliondo to Naabi, Barafu, Hidden Valley, etc etc etc), and now no off road driving at Gol kopjes. My guides tell me that many outfitters were trying to enter the park or protected areas without paying the fees at Naabi, and as a result all vehicles must pass through Naabia from the south or east. Royal pain. My feelings on certain safari outfitters keep getting worse and worse.

* Serengeti - Maasai kopjes - getting to the Maasai kopjes is extremely difficult at the moment, especially after rain. The rains have been coming almost daily, which reminds me of the 1998 El Nino rains, when they didn't stop until mid June. Looks like we are in for a fun ride!

* Serengeti - Retima - there is still a large gathering of hippos at Retima, but if the river gets any higher or faster I suspect they will head for easier waters.

I hope this helps for anybody who is visiting northern Tanzania in the next few days or weeks ahead.

Safari Njema!
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:31 PM

I am planning a February trip to S.A. in 2008. Are rains normal for that time of year? If you were to do your trip again, would you change the time of year to go if you could, or the locations for your safaris?

I am wondering if I will be making a mistake by going in February, although that is a really nice time to travel through S.A.
Feb 4th, 2007, 09:45 PM

Thanks Andy!

It is 1:30am on the East coast and I am online desperately trying to get award tickets to JRO in March!

Bill wrote the wildebeests have not dropped the young yet. Can you confirm for the herds you saw?

I am trying to time my trip to arrive in time for the birth week!
Eben
Feb 5th, 2007, 06:19 AM

We fly out tomorrow for Northern Tanz so thanks for this timely update. Sounds like it will be quite different to when we were there in Feb a couple of years ago. Sounds like a bit of rain most days.
I am soooooooooooo excited!!
J
Feb 12th, 2007, 03:14 AM

Was just in Ndutu on Friday and now back in States. Flamingos, lions, wort hogs, young zebra, young lions, wildebeest, hyenas abound!