Tanzania Pre-Trip Report

Oct 12th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania Pre-Trip Report

We just got back yesterday afternoon from our trip to northern Tanzania and Zanzibar, so I haven't had a chance to pull my notes into a trip report, but I wanted to post some highlights and a warning.

First, the warning, which may already have been noted here: the visa rate has gone from $50 per person to $100 per person, which we (and the rest of the plane) didn't discover until we arrived. Apparently, it applies only to Americans. We met someone else later in the trip who had checked the Tanzanian Embassy website the day before she left and saw no notice of the increase. So that was a rude shock, but the rest of the trip went incredibly smoothly.

Viewing highlights: three lionesses in the same tree, with 6 to 8 cubs on the ground, plus another lioness in a nearby tree in Tarangire.

Kitty trifecta in the Serengeti: lions, leopard and cheetah in the same day.

Elephants at a watering hole in Serengeti.

A spotted genet making a circuit through the dining room at Serengeti Tented Camp.

Surprise favorite animal: warthog

Biggest disappointment: poorly made coffee everywhere except at the Dik Dik Hotel in Arusha.

More later, as soon as I can pull my notes together and my husband can finish editing the photos.
Oct 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM

I think you got ripped off by the VISA clerk. We just got back from Tanzania as well, and we were charged $50 USD as expected. We arrived in Tanzania Sept 17th. We were given no special receipt or anything, just a regular stamp in our passports, leaving us to wonder if the clerks were pocketing the $50. Sounsd like your clerk was even more greedy. What date did you arrive??

Hm. We thought the coffee at most of our lodges was pretty good, actually.
Oct 12th, 2007, 01:18 PM

cmlong - No Rip Off! The new rate went into effect 20th September. Few knew about this until it happened.
Oct 12th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Welcome back! Looking forward to more and your photos.
Oct 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM

I liked the kitty trifecta. I wonder if the genets refer to their routes as the Northern Tanzania Circuit and Southern Tanzania Circuit.
Oct 12th, 2007, 02:39 PM

You're right. According to the Tanz embassy website, the change was posted on Sept 19th (date of the posting), and went into affect on Sept 20th, and applies only to Americans. So you were probably already in transit when they announced it! Interesting, that for NON-American foreigners, the rate is still charged in US dollars, rather than Euros or some other currency.

I guess I was lucky on timing!
Oct 12th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

We arrived on the 24th. One of the visa officials came down the line trying to collect $100 per person and all of us thought he was trying to rip us off, so we insisted on waiting in line, only to discover that the fee really was higher.
Oct 18th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Just getting caught up reading some of the new reports since I've been gone... Wow, I was relieved to hear that the visa rate in Tanzania HAS actually gone up for U.S. citizens. We too thought we might have been ripped off. We arrived in Tanzania October 3rd after having been on the road since late September, expecting to pay $50 per person, and were really surprised when the clerk said it was $100 each. We did not want to get into an argument and thought maybe our information was wrong, so we just paid it. When I looked at my passport later I saw that she'd hand- written "multiple entry" next to the stamp (even though we'd checked "single entry" on our applications), so we just assumed it was a scam of some sort and were really annoyed about it. Although I didn't enjoy having $100 less in my budget for buying gifts , I am glad to know this was not a rip-off.
Oct 9th, 2008, 06:41 AM
Ve

I arrived on Sep.2 in Amsterdam A/port. I was informed at their counter that my visa would cost $50.00 once I arrived at Kilimanjaro A/port. Imagine my surprise that I was charged $100.00 upon arrival. Now that I've read read the new rate went into effect around Sept.20th, I think someone jumped the gun and started collecting a bit early. One wonders why just Americans were charged this and not everyone ??? I think perhaps I was ripped off now.
Oct 9th, 2008, 07:58 AM

Ve - you got tripped up in a posting time-warp. The fee changed last year. Look at the earlier postings in this item.
Oct 9th, 2008, 10:17 AM
Ve

OOOPS!!!