Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

great places to go Tanzania & Kenya & Zanzibar in Dec/Jan please?

Old Sep 11th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HI Fodorites
I have just booked flights for my husband, self and 8 year old son into Nairobi on Xmas day for a little over a month. Now I need to decide what to do!
Can anyone recommend great places to go/tour companies/hotels/drivers in these destinations please? I want to do a mix of camps/ 4* ish / beach. Not necessarily group stuff. Will fly out of Dar Es Salaam. Looking for good ideas ... thanks.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 05:56 AM

Also have a look at Heritage Hotels - www.heritage-eastafrica.com/
Cheli & Peacock - www.chelipeacock.com/

When do you fly out of DAR?
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 08:43 AM

Check out Offbeat Safaris in Kenya. I recently stayed at their Meru and Mara camps and loved them! Children under 11 are half price. They have other locations, as well, and could probably put together a nice itinerary for you, geared to traveling with an 8-year-old. For instance, you can go fishing in Meru and they do horseback safaris, if that would be of interest. Have have some specials, such as 12 nights for the price of 9.

Flying out of Dar will necessitate getting a Tanzania visa, separate from Kenya's visa. However, you could do your beach stay in Zanzibar. Again, look for a resort that has activities for your child. I like Pongwe Beach Lodge, but I don't think that one would be the best for your family.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 08:48 AM

I stayed at two Cheli&Peacock properties (Tortilis and Elsa's Kopje) last year and loved them both!! However, aside from game drives you would need to check on activities they have for children, if any.
Old Sep 11th, 2012, 01:59 PM

As mentioned above, the Intrepid's Camps (heritage-east africa) in the Masai Mara and at Samburu, do have the Adventurer's Program, ideal for children. That said, even if a camp doesn't specifically identify activities for the young ones, Kenyan's love kids and will certainly keep them busy when not on game drives.

If traveling over the Christmas/New Year's holiday know that this is peak season at peak prices, so while you mention 4* (there is NO star system in Kenya), you have to figure out what your budget per person will be. Not unusual for those mentioned above to run in the range of $550-650+/person/nt (w/ discount for children most places under 12/yrs at least), which includes: room/tent, meals, park fees, game drives, guide/vehicle, flights if applicable for the farthest distances, taxes. Most of those mentioned above will include beverages as soft-drinks, local beers and wines (though maybe not the Intrepid's properties).

Until you contact some of those companies shown and advise what you're seeking, will you have an idea of costs and then it's whether there is availability during this rather busy season... remembering that if staying at camps, these are small with less than 20/tents (often lass than 10/tents)... though if you choose lodges where prices might be more attractive if not larger with probably 60+/rooms.

If concluding at DAR, assuming you'll be heading out to Zanzibar, besides another Visa, there is the requirement for a Yellow Fever inoculation and proof of same for entry. Likewise, it's peak season, peak prices and during this time of year when it's very very hot on the coast, besides being quite humid... seriously consider air conditioned resorts, cottages, other. Most of those Kenyan outfitters listed above can also arrange your Zanzibar stay... ask.

Suggest you get moving on this is your travel dates are right around the corner.
Old Sep 12th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

thankyou thankyou. Yes. getting on with it
cheers