Tanzania - mobile tented safari

Aug 22nd, 2003, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

Tanzania - mobile tented safari

Our first tented (not mobile) safari took us to Kenya in 2000. Now we are thinking about Tanzania in the end of October/ November 2004. Is it too early to start planning our second safari more than one year in advance?

Where to start? So far I found only minimum information on this type of safari.
Can someone recommend a respectable company dealing with mobile tented safaris in Tanzania?
Aug 22nd, 2003, 09:39 AM

Wildflower, I wanted to add something about Kibo Safaris. You can't book the trip directly with them, they have certain agents that they deal with. I don't know where you live, but in the US, we used a company called Borton Overseas based out of Minneapolis. We have only the highest of praise for both Borton's and Kibo, and we will use both for our next trip.

If I can provider more info, please don't hesitate to ask.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:24 AM

Dear Wildflower,

You will love Tanzania it is great! We went this past February 2003 and did the mobile tented Safari. It was truly the best experience of my life. There is a lot of information to sift through. It took us over a year to plan our trip, but of course we did not know where to start and researched it to death. I have a great travel agent who is from East Africa, his name is Alnoor Dossa at Hill Barrett Travel. Alnoor ownes and opperates his own travel agency. He organized, very detailed, our safari. He even arranged for the safari company to have a larger bed in the tents for my husband, he is 6'4".

He booked us with Ranger Safaris. We were a little concerned about Ranger for we had read a bad review on Epinnions.com. This review was way off! This safari company is great. The people that they have working with them are excellent at what they do. I do recommend our driver/guide, Gerion Kavishe. We were very lucky to have him. He has is masters in Biology and has worked as a park ranger for 20 years. He is now writing a book on animals and the different tribes in Tanzania.

The main thing is to remember that your guide will make or break your safari experience. So find a good one. We were very lucky and we did not spend our days riding around searching for animals, our guide knew where they would be.

I also strongly recommend the personalized Mobile tenting. It is truly the best way to experience your safari! The tents were very nice, clean, and they had a sink, shower, and toilet. This is key!!!!

Where to go to see the best of Tanzania? I would recommend The Tarangire National Reserve, the Ngorongoro Crater, and the Serengeti. You will see the most of Tanzania with these three parks.

Please let me know if you need any more information. Oh the phone number for Hill Barrett Travel is (425)985-8585. You can also email them for informaion at [email protected] They were great like I said. Very detailed! We have booked our February 2004 trip with them as well, to the Galapagos and Machu Picchu.

Well have fun with which ever tour company you go with.
Aug 22nd, 2003, 11:50 AM

Hi Wildflower! Touch base with me at [email protected] I agree with Searcher's recommendations on which areas to visit. Can you imagine camping in the Serengeti?? Fantastic!!! Tarangire is one of my favorite parks. It has massive termite mounds and giant baobab trees and a wonderful elephant population. As for the Crater, there is no camping allowed on the Crater floor, so you would have to use a designated camp area on the crater rim. Guides, especially in a mobile camping situation, are very important, as are the other staff that accompany you on a camping adventure. But what an awesome experience!

Search this Thread