Tanzania/Kenya Help!!!

Mar 10th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania/Kenya Help!!!

I am getting myself so confused reading too much information so I thought I would turn to the experts for advice!
Basically we want to head to Tanzania & Kenya for animal viewing. Guerba offer a trip that covers these areas but what time of year should we be looking at heading over there?
How is Feb? If we are going to the Serengetti & Mara. Definately want to take in the Ngorogoro.
Feb has the advantage of cheaper airfares but we don't want to comprimise our trip for this. Would there be a better time of year????

Thanks for any advice I am beginning to get very confused!!! J
Mar 11th, 2004, 02:31 AM

Jules39: February is a wonderful time for the southern Serengeti (Ndutu area) since it is the calving season (Jan - Feb) for the wildebeests. The exact time of this, of course, depends on the rains. Since the Mara is an extension of the Serengeti, I would choose one or the other to see. I prefer the Mara in July, August, September, October when the massive herds of wildbeests and zebras congregate and start making their way back into Tanzania, having to cross either the Mara or Talek rivers. Again, the exact time of this depends on the rains. Ngorongoro is glorious (normally) in February, when it is lush from the rains. Go to Ngorongoro in the summer months, and it is virtually a dust bowl - but still a fantastic destination for a day or two, but no more, IMO. You will get loads of feedback and lots of opinions on this!
Mar 11th, 2004, 03:27 AM
sandi

jules29 -

SusanLynne is correct. With the exception of the long-rains season (Apr - May) and the very dry season when more dust that normal picks up on game drives (especially in the Crater) Kenya & Tanzania are practically good year-round.

Generally, February is warm to hot in Kenya and Tanzania, the evenings will be comfortable.

And there are less tourists at this time, so this is another advantage. You'll enjoy your holiday in East Africa in February.

Mar 11th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Just got back from a mid Feb trip on the northern circuit (Ser., lake Manyara, Ngoro.) As stated, in Feb the migration is south, so stay near Ndutu. Only bother staying in the area of the park where the migration is. If migration will be in Mara, don't bother going to Ser., and vice-versa...

Search this Thread