Tanzania Itinerary Please help Critique

Mar 26th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Tanzania Itinerary Please help Critique

I am in the preliminary stages of planning a trip to Tanzania for a February visit. I need help with a couple of options regarding Tarangire and possibly adding on Amboseli. Trying to keep the trip down to about 10 days not including flying time to get there.
This will be our first trip to Tanzania or Kenya.

Option #1:
1) Arrive JRO, spend night near airport
2) Tarangire
3) Tarangire
4) Plantation Lodge or Gibbs (Lake Manyara)
5) NG Crater probably Serena
6) Ndutu area
7) Ndutu area
8) Ndutu area
9) Seronera area
10) Seronera area
11) Fly back to Arusha, on to JRO, fly home

Since it looks like Tarangire is not at its best in February, here is another option:

1) Arrive JRO, overnight
2) Plantation Lodge or Gibbs
3) NG Crater
4) Ndutu
5) Ndutu
6) Ndutu
7) Seronera
8) Seronera
9) Fly to Arusha, transfer to Amboseli
10) Amboseli
11) transfer to NBO, fly home

The next third option is to try to add an extra night and do both Tarangire and Amboseli, but one less night in Serengeti

) Arrive JRO, spend night near airport
2) Tarangire
3) Tarangire
4) Plantation Lodge or Gibbs (Lake Manyara)
5) NG Crater probably Serena
6) Ndutu area
7) Ndutu area
8) Nduto or Seronera area?
9) Seronera area
10) Fly back to Arusha, transfer to Amboseli
11) Amboseli
12 transfer to NBO, fly home

Any thougts about these ideas would be welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Mar 26th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Option #1:
Tarangire may not be at the height of its splendor in Feb., but the baobabs are always there and give it a unique appeal.

Maybe just one night at Seronera before
flying out. I would stay 4 nights in the Ndutu area.

Option #2
Trading Tarangire for Amboseli makes sense if you want to see Kilimanjaro. Also, February is a better time to be in Amboseli than Tarangire.

I think #2 is the option I would do, again with one night in Seronera. But my bias is always quality and quantity of wildlife viewing, as opposed to experiencing a variety of environments.

Option #3
I would not give up one night in the Ndutu area of the Serengeti in February for eitiher Amboseli or Tarangire, unless I had spent time in the Serengeti in February in the past but had never been to Amboseli and Tarangire.

For all options: I only have lunched at Gibbs but found it delightful and absolutely delicious. So I'd vote for Gibbs, though I've never been to Plantation.

What a nice set of options to be choosing from.
Mar 29th, 2005, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Atravelyn,
It looks like we'll just have to decide between Amboseli and Tarangire. The Tanzania circuit only was my first choice, but then the pictures of Kilimanjaro from Amboseli are very tempting.
It looks like I made a mistake on Option #3, I think it would be better to lose the night at Lake Manyara area and definitely keep the night at Ndutu, since that is the point of being there in February. Or try to get 12 total nights.
Thanks for your help.
Mar 29th, 2005, 09:21 AM

One other minor factor in heading to Amboseli for your only Kenya stop is the cost and hassle of a Kenya visa for 2 days--$50 plus shipping costs. That alone would not make me nix Amboseli, but it is a factor.

When you mentioned seeing pictures of Amboseli, you may or may not have views of the mountain similar to those photos. It is even harder to get nicely posed animals in the foreground with the mountain in the background.

Not to be negative about Amboseli. In fact on my first Africa trip, I was in both Kenya and Tanzania, but did not do Amboseli. On my next Africa trip, I included the gorillas, then flew to Nairobi as my exit city to head home. When I looked over the itinerary, I decided to add Amboseli since I had to enter Kenya anyway. It was the only stop in Kenya. I stayed one night and enjoyed it.

If going to Amboseli is important to you and you think you may never return to Africa, then I'd add it. Whatever the extra cost and time it takes to get there is outweighed by the cost of always wishing you had gone and did not.

Search this Thread