Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tanzania Itinerary help (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tanzania-itinerary-help-1140132/)

mlbrinkworth Oct 30th, 2016 03:05 PM

Tanzania Itinerary help

We are going to Tanzania in late July / early August 2017 for 6 nights. We'd like to split our time between 2 camps. What itinerary and camps do you recommend? We'd like to see the migration, lions and leopards!

Authentic1 Nov 21st, 2016 04:14 AM

For the late July/early August migration, i recommend this :
2 nights Tarangire (July-October is the dry season and in Tarangire, many animal groups migrate into the park as the Tarangire river becomes the only viable water source for animals. In essence, there is a sort of mini-migration happening here.
1 night Ngorongoro
2 nights central Serengeti (the area with lions, leopardds and other cats)
3 nights north Serengeti (see migration crossings if lucky)
Depending on your needs and budget, your safari planner can recommend super luxury camps or comfortable/semi-luxury camps like Katikati, Olakira, Masek, etc.

ncwillett Jan 29th, 2017 01:09 PM

We spent 14 days in Rwanda and Tanzania this past July/August. For wildebeest migration, you need to be in the northern Serengeti that time of year. We spent 3 nights at Sayari camp and the Serengeti was our favorite park. We saw vehicles coming up from the central Serengeti to try to see a crossing and our guide said it basically took them all day to drive north and back, with no guarantee of seeing a crossing. We saw lions, leopards and a serval cat in the northern Serengeti as well, so I'm not sure why someone advised going to the central Serengeti for that. ?? In my view, you could skip the central part, since you are only planning 6 nights total. On our trip we also spent 2 nights in Tarangire, 2 nights at Gibbs Farm (one full day in the Ngorongoro Crater) and 2 nights at Lake Mayara, although one night there would have been fine.

aby Feb 6th, 2017 05:55 AM

Hi Mlbrinkworth

I'd just liken to add:
<b>Leopard:</b> the best place to spot the "juu" is on trees around Seronera and adjacent streams. mention to your driver-guide places like: Korongo ya Johnny and Kumi-na-sita. actually he knows but you'll appear more serious... :)
I've never missed this spotted one in this area, IMHO one of the best on earth.
Stay close e.g. a new place called Kubu-Kubu.
<b>Migration / Crossing </b>
with 3 nights in the far north - on the Mara River / Kogatende etc' the chance to see the migration actually crossing the river is quite good

good luck

aby

Brussig Jun 24th, 2017 12:56 PM

Just want to chime in for Kubu Kubu Tented Camp. We stayed there this month and it was fantastic! Fairly new, but great location, wonderful staff, excellent views and plenty of animal sightings all around. So glad our tour operator, Earthlife Expeditions, suggested it to us. Spot on.