Tanzania in Sept.?

Jun 19th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

Tanzania in Sept.?

My husband and I are planning a trip to Africa in September. All the messages and advice here have been wonderfully helpful. Now I have a question. We're considering a safari that goes to Tanzania, but not Kenya, in September. My impression is the great migration will be in Kenya then. So, would it be silly or a waste to got to Tanzania-only that time of year? Do you think we'd be missing out if we went to East Africa & didn't try to see the migration in Kenya?

(FYI, our itinerary in a nutshell on this 12-day safari would be: TARANGIRE/LAKE EYASI/NGORONGORO/SERENGETI.)
Jun 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
sandi

If I were traveling in September, the only reason I wouldn't go to the Masai Mara in Kenya would be if "there was no room at the inn" - I doubt that would be the situation. You're so close, why not go to the Mara.

While there is a migration taking place in Tarangire at that time, it doesn't compare to the Mara with the wide open savannahs. Likewise, while there are permanent herds in the Serengeti (wildebeest) that do not migrate, these are but a thimble-full compared to the size of those that do migrate (along with zebra and antelope). But if you visit the Serengeti at this time, you should only select camps at the northern top end - meaning Migration Camp, Klein's Camp and a small semi-permanent camps whose name I can't recall right now. If these not avaiablel the alternatives would be Kirawira Camp or Grumeti River Camp. All of the above are very expensive at this time of year.

Personally, I'd spend time in the Mara than in the Serengeti.

Jun 20th, 2004, 03:19 AM

Tanzania is a fantastic safari destination in September, but I wholeheartedly agree with Sandi about the Mara. Historically, the migration is in the Mara August - October. That is not to say that you will not see animals in the Serengeti at that time. You will. But the Mara is where it is at that time of year. We were last there Sept. 2002 and had the honor and privilege of seeing a crossing at the Talek River. I still get chills when I think of it. If you do opt to go solely to the Serengeti, again, Sandi is correct. You must stay in the northern section - Migration Camp, Klein's Camp. The furthest south I would go is Lobo Wildlife Lodge. We are going back to Kenya and Tanzania in October and I will not be doing the Mara, but rather the northern Serengenti in the hopes of seeing the migration returning from the Mara. Having said all that, I am certain you will have a wonderful time wherever you end up staying.

Search this Thread