Tanzania in May?

Apr 6th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania in May?

Is May a bad time to visit Tanzania and Kenya? I know it's the long rains, but I've also read that this is the beginning of the migration from the Serengeti and prices are low. Are the rains so intense and long that it ruins a trip or is this a good opportunity to avoid crowds?
Apr 7th, 2004, 03:56 AM
sandi

Yes, the prices are low in May just because of the "long" rains, but you aren't likely to have rains 24/7. But if you do travel at this time, you chance muddy roads, getting stuck, needing to be pulled out and these episodes can put a damper on your adventure. Then again, maybe none of these situations may occur.

However, if you can arrange your trip for June, prices are still low and even better to see the herds in the Serengeti starting to move north to the Mara. Here in the Serengeti you should try for accommodations anywhere from the middle of the reserve, or better yet, in the western or northern areas.

Apr 7th, 2004, 07:03 AM

Wildlife viewing in April & May is supposed to be "fair" at best. I think Sandi is right and if you can delay your trip to June, you would be better off.
May 2nd, 2004, 12:30 PM

Not sure about Kenya, but think the long rains would typically be over by May in Tanzania. This spring, after a one year drought, they have have not had the "long rains" but have had a nice rain once or twice per week and everything in central Tanzania is green and lush.

Search this Thread