Tanzania in June

Nov 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania in June

Hi y'all,

I would love to go back to Tanzania on safari in 2010 and as early as possible in the year. However, due to work schedules, it looks like May or June would be the earliest I could go. Any suggestions on which areas/parks to visit at that time of year?

Thanks!
Nov 19th, 2009, 08:19 PM

How exciting you are contemplating a return.

I'd choose June over May if possible, though you may wish to check pricing and cutoff dates.

Below are some examples of "perfect" safaris in May or June. The trickiest part is where in the Serengeti should you be.

I've thought in May that Serengeti Sopa might be in a good spot and it is one of the less expensive optios. LyndaS has gone in May, I believe, and stayed there. You can check her East AFrica Index.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17669637/R...Safari-15-days

http://www.scribd.com/doc/17333388/F...Safari-14-days
Nov 20th, 2009, 06:38 AM

In May the rates are still at low-season. Come June 1, rates go into peak-season.

Tarangire is always great, but often in May-early June the grasses too high to see other than ellees if they've returned to the park after the wet where there was water for them and other game outside the park... better to visit from mid-June forward.

Ngorongoro is Ngorongoro!

Serengeti - Central and Western? Late-May they can be in Central or West; by June, often already in West. But then some of the herds, depending on how late in June start moving north.

On private safari, whether you stay in Central or Western, game drives can be done in both... they're only 2/hrs apart.
Nov 21st, 2009, 06:47 AM

How exciting for you, we can't wait to go back.
We did Tanzania June 10th for three weeks visiting Arusha Park,Lake Eysai and Serengeti, central, north and west. central we saw an abundance of wildlife lots of lions cheetah giraffe, wilderbeast gazelles and even three leopards and a serval cat.
Ngorongora was next, there was plenty here too.
Tarangire was our last stop, probably our favourite park loads of elephants some Zebra's giraffes and even a few lions as well as waterbuck, dik dik, gazelles etc and plenty of birdlife.
If you are an elephant fan we had lots of family intraction here, very very close up.
Nov 21st, 2009, 05:07 PM

"Serengeti, central, north and west"
Keah05, you were all over the Serengeti. Could you elaborate on # of days and where you stayed?
Nov 21st, 2009, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Keah05, ditto on wondering about number of days and where you stayed.

What about southern Tanzania, e.g., Selous? Is May/June a good time to visit?
Nov 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM

Most of the properties in Selous and Ruaha are closed in May, opening 1st June or mid-month.

Like Tarangire, you can expect the grasses to be high coming out of the wet season.
Nov 22nd, 2009, 07:33 AM

If possible, I'd go later. That's the strategy I'm employing for 2011. I'll go late July to early Sept, probably not Selous, but very likely other parts of Southern Tanzania.

There is a Southern Tanzania thread currently in the top 50 with more discussion.
Nov 22nd, 2009, 09:04 AM

Hi Lyn,
Yes we did seem to be all over the Serengeti, we stayed
three nights central 16th/17th/19th at Mbuzi Mawe the 18th Migration Camp 20th/21st Mbaglageti Camp.
We split the time between central & western for the migration, which was good as some were at western serengeti and some at central, they had started to migrate early to western then because of rains some came back to central we saw huge herds in both places.
North - Migration camp was simply because we wanted to see the different terrain and experience the luxury of Migration Camp,incidently we saw our first two leopards here, we also saw a cheetah with her kill & watched her for about 1 hour.
Although the quantity of animals was not here, what we did see was excellent and we had it all to ourselves.We broke our stay at Mbuzi Mawe to lessen the travel time to Mbaglageti, more for our driver than us, we can travel for hours the bumpier the more fun.
The best drive was to Lake Eysai, I know from the the forum a lot of people class this the road from hell, believe me this was the best drive...... we loved it!!!!!!