Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tanzania in June 2009 (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tanzania-in-june-2009-a-783289/)

Malpa May 7th, 2009 03:25 AM

Tanzania in June 2009

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I have been on this forum.

I’m spending most of June in Tanzania. I already have my flights organized and I’m currently looking at safaris. Previously (6 years ago) I visited some of the areas around Arusha (Serengetti, Ngorongoro etc) and want to revisit them but also go to some new areas.

I felt I didn’t have enough time previously in Tarangere NP and haven’t been to Lake Babati, Mkomazi, Sadaani and other areas on the East coast.

After I finish the safari, I plan to travel to Zanzibar making my own arrangements.

When I was in Tanzania last time I remember the beautiful birds and this time I want to spend some time photographing them.

The following itinerary has been suggested.

I was wondering if anyone had any comments or suggestions about this itinerary.

Day 1, 5th June: On arrival at Kilimanjaro met and transferred to the Jacaranda lodge in Arusha for overnight on b&b basis.

Day 2, 6th June: After breakfast depart for the Ngorongoro Highlands with picnic lunch to spend the afternoon trekking on the highlands. Dinner and overnight at the Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge.

Days 3 and 4, 7th & 8th June: This morning is spent game viewing in the crater with a picnic lunch. Mid afternoon depart for the Serengeti, game viewing en route to the campsite in the Seronera valley for dinner and overnight.

Day 5, 9th June: Today is spent exploring the Serengeti, either on game drives early in the morning and late in the afternoon with hot lunch in camp, or on full day game drives with picnic lunches. Dinners and overnights within camp.

Day 6, 10th June: After breakfast we depart for Manyara with game viewing en route, dinner and overnight at the Manyara Hotel.

Day 7, 11th June: Morning game viewing in Manyara before departing for Tarangire for dinner and overnight at Boundary Hill Lodge where we will also be able to experience a late afternoon walking safari and a night drive.

Days 8 and 9, 12th and 13th June: Full days game viewing in Tarangire, walking safaris and night drives, we will also take the opportunity to visit one of the local Masai bomas who are partners in the lodge which are found in the area, dinners and overnights at Boundary Hill Lodge. The birding in Tarangire is spectacular.

Day 10, 14th June: This morning we spend game viewing in Tarangire National park with a picnic lunch as we head to the western gate before heading south to Lake Babati, dinner and overnight with camp on the lake shore. Lake Babati was the setting for Hemingways "The Green Hills of Africa" and is located between Tarangire National Park and the Rift Valley. The Lake is located in a valley surrounded by hills and mountains.
Day 11, 15th June: Today is spent exploring the Lake Babati area, either trekking on the forested slopes of the surrounding mountains with local guides, fishing from the traditional canoe or birding and just exploring the lake shore in a traditional dugout canoe. Dinner and overnight with camp. The forests east of Babati are on the western border of Tarangire National Park, whilst those to the north west are part of southern Manyara and TANAPA are looking at included these in the future expansion of the park.

Day 12, 16th June: After breakfast head north east for the Mkomazi National Park, passing Mt Meru and Kilimanjaro as we head north east, stopping for lunch in Arusha and arriving at Mkomzazi at about 16hr00. Dinner and overnight within camp at Ibaya campsite in Mkomazi.

Day 13, 17th June: Today is spent exploring the Mkomazi game reserve on game drives and walking safaris, dinners and overnights within camp.

Day 14: 18th June: After breakfast this morning we break camp and head south east along the main road to the port city of Tanga. Tanga is the second largest port in Tanzania but its decaying grandeur is only a remnant of its heyday during the German colonial administration at the start of the 20th Century. From Tanga we will be visiting the Amboni caves as well as the atmospheric fourteenth century Swahili trading town of Tongoni. Tanga seems to have missed the developed experienced elsewhere in East Africa during the last half of the 20th century, and the buildings lining the streets all date back nearly a century. The central market is one of the few left which is typical of what was in every town in East Africa.

Day 15, 19th June: Late morning we depart Tanga and head south towards Sadaani National Park with picnic lunch. Late afternoon game drive in the park before returning to the camp for dinner and overnight. The camp is located right on the beach with the Indian ocean spreading away to the horizon.

Days 16 and 17, 20th and 21st June: These days are spent exploring the Sadaani National Park as well as its southern boundaries along the Wami River. One of the unique experiences to be had is an early morning boat trip on the Wami River, its banks crowded with lush growth, and during the dry season home to many hippopotamus and crocodiles. Dinners and overnights is within camp. The birding is quite spectacular, Malachite and Pied kingfishers, a variety of herons and both flamingos on the salt pans.

Day 18, 22nd June: Morning transfer to Dar Es Salaam.

atravelynn May 7th, 2009 03:26 PM

Looks good through Day 9. Did you want just 1/2 day in the crater, which is what you appear to have? That is common in itineraries, but you linger in other locations, so thought I'd ask about crater. Your original comments mentioned not enough time in Tarangire, but did not state "too little time in crater" so maybe 1/2 day is enough.

After Day 9 it looks quite interesting and I hope you tell us about your experiences. These locations are not often visited. Congrats on a fascinating itinerary.

Malpa May 9th, 2009 08:36 PM

Hi atravelynn,

Thanks for your comments.
I'm looking forward to the second part of the trip as they are generally places I haven't been.

I was aware that I only had 1/2 day in crater....but when I was there in 2003, I was disappointed with the crater compared to my previous visit years earlier. So I guess that's why I'm happy with only 1/2 day. I'm travelling with someone who hasn't been to Tanzania before and thought we should go to the crater so she can see it.

I know this may sound silly, but as well as seeing birds, I want to sit and observe elephants!!!

Thanks for you comments

Patty May 10th, 2009 07:51 AM

No comments from me except nice to see some less visited areas on your itinerary and I really look forward to hearing about your experiences when you get back!

Malpa May 11th, 2009 02:33 AM

Hi Patty,

Thanks for your reply.

Many years ago when I first went to Tanzania with my children, we went to Iringa and visited an archeological site there. It was fascinating, so I'm really looking forward to visiting some of these places.

Malpa May 27th, 2009 04:14 AM

We leave in five days. We are getting excited about our trip. I haven't booked accommodation in Zanzibar yet, but I'm hoping I can do it once I get to Tanzania.

Can anyone recommend any reasonably priced accommodation in Zanzibar?

Thanks.

atravelynn May 27th, 2009 04:03 PM

Malpa, what are your interests in Zanzibar? Relaxing on the beach? Nature?

atravelynn May 27th, 2009 04:04 PM

Oh, I see some archeology when I read above.

Malpa May 30th, 2009 07:13 PM

Hi atravelynn,

Not relaxing on the beach....exploring stone town etc.

tzmpenzi May 31st, 2009 09:42 AM

If you are considering Babati I can be of use, as that is my stomping grounds.
Babati is a small little "town" with not much happening and without a lot of tourists. I think in surrounding areas there are some bird watching opportunities. Lake Babati is nice and there are hippo's there, which can be seen by canoe. On the side of the lake closest to the town there is a complex of open air cabana's you can sit under and enjoy drinks. Its a nice atmosphere.
The other thing about Babati is the cultural tourism programs that depart from there. You can overnight with the Barbaig tribe, which is truly roughing it and many other interesting options. There is one notable operator/guesthouse listed in books like Rough Guide and Lonley Planet, but if you are interested in considering this option I can help direct you to another smaller company started by his former top guides, who left because of discontent and substandard wages.

Malpa Aug 11th, 2009 03:57 AM

Hi everyone,

I've finally got back to this forum.

We had an amazing trip to Tanzania and then returned home to a new grandchild.....but I will write about some of the highlights of the trip in a treip report in the next few days.