Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tanzania in June 2007 - Anyone Interested? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tanzania-in-june-2007-anyone-interested-661313/)

ShayTay Nov 28th, 2006 06:16 PM

Tanzania in June 2007 - Anyone Interested?

Let me start by saying I'm NOT a travel agent or professional travel planner (I'm an auditor by trade). I had a lot of friends that said they really wanted to go to Africa, so Kibo Safaris put together a group trip for me that I'm coordinating. Now, a lot of my friends have had to drop out for one reason or another. I've got the space reserved in high season and don't want to release it until I see if anyone would be interested in going with us.

The basic itinerary is this:

6/18/07 - Arrive in Arusha, Moivaro Lodge
6/19/07 - Arusha NP, Moivaro Lodge
6/20-21/07 - Tarangire NP, Maramboi Camp
6/22/07 - Maasai Encounter, Orphanage Visit, Ngorongoro Farmhouse
6/23/07 - Lake Eyasi & Habzabe Bushmen, Farmhouse
6/24/07 - Ngorongoro Crater, Farmhouse
6/25-28/07 - Serengeti NP, Mobile Tented Camp
6/29/07 - Fly to Arusha for departure or continue with 4 day trip to Zanzibar

If anyone is interested in joining us, e-mail me at DIVEDIVE99 at aol dot com and I'll give you more details.

dssxxxx Nov 29th, 2006 04:12 AM

Why don't you post a price, so we can let people who are interested know if this is a worthwhile event.

ShayTay Nov 29th, 2006 08:14 AM

The cost of the 12-day safari is $3695. The 4-day Zanzibar trip is $900.

sandi Nov 29th, 2006 12:40 PM

That's a lot of $$$ for ZNZ, where are you staying? Is that a single supplement price?

ShayTay Nov 29th, 2006 01:06 PM

Re: Zanzibar...

The price includes flights from Arusha and to Dar. It also includes lodging, transportation, some meals and tours. That part of the trip is through Ocean Tours Zanzibar and isn't locked in because it's an optional add-on. It might come in less than that when we finalize it, but a quote I got from them last year was even more. They have great guides and vehicles and I trust them.

We'll probably stay at Pongwe on the beach. It's on a beautiful beach and is quiet...a nice place to wind down after the safari. In Stone Town, we would be at Tembo House.

ShayTay Dec 13th, 2006 05:05 PM

I know several people on the Board are looking to go to Tanzania or perhaps East Africa. I still have spaces on this group tour, thanks to several cancellations. If nothing else, it will give people an idea of costs and itineraries when comparing quotes from tour companies.

atravelynn Dec 14th, 2006 08:25 AM

Good luck in acquiring participants to fill the vacancies.

ShayTay Feb 14th, 2007 12:57 PM

I'll need to turn in my unused spaces soon, so I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to join us; I've got 4 spaces left on a high-season group trip to Tanzania.

One change: Tanganyika Wilderness Camps is building a new camp near Tarangire on Lake Burunge. We're switching from Maramboi to the new Lake Burunge Tented Camp. It will be very similar to Maramboi as its construction is being supervised by the same guy that built Maramboi. The new camp is near the Sangaiwe gate that can be used for park access in the dry season.

Zanzibar is an option, but I don't have space pre-reserved there. Currently, there are 4 of us staying at Shooting Star Lodge on the beach and Dhow Palace in Stonetown.