Tanzania in February

Sep 18th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Tanzania in February

We would be interested in hearing from anyone who has been to Tanzania in February. We have already been in September (last year), and are planning our next trip for Feb 06, so any information on weather, animals, or any other information on Tanzania in February would be greatly appreciated. The areas we will be visiting will be Tarangire, Ngorongoro and the Serengeti. And we will be doing mobile camping.

Thanks
Sep 18th, 2003, 03:54 PM

Hi Teresa and Greg,

My husband and I went to Tarangire, Ngorongoro and the Serengeti on a mobile camping safari this past Feb, 03. The animals are great and you could see the great migration. The weather was fantastic, not to hot and not to cool. Warm days in the 80's and cool nights in the 60's.

We used Ranger Safaris and were very pleased with their services. They are very professional and the guide we had, Gerion Kavishe, was superb. We ended up booking it through a travel agent in Seattle WA who is from East Africa, Hill Barrett Travel. They are very detail orented!

I have a lot of information and 35 rolls of film to illustrate what a fantastic trip we had. Let me know what other info you need and I would be glad to assist you.
Sep 19th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Original Poster

Hi Searcher, thanks for the information. I thought we took a lot of pictures, and we only shot 23 rolls of film

One question that comes to mind is, were there lots of newborn babies that time of year. That is something that my wife would be very interested in seeing.

Also, did you have an opportunity to visit a Masai Boma? We had to chance to do so, but we had already spent some time at a Datoga village, and spent some time hunting with the Hadze, and both of those experiences just seemed too "commercial", so we passed on the chance to visit a Boma. However we are thinking that this time we will give that a shot.

And finally, for now, did you or anyone in your group take a hot air balloon trip, and if so, was it worth the money?

Thanks
Sep 19th, 2003, 05:47 AM
LizFrazier

If you'll visit www.ndutu.com and click the "Whats Happening" on the left of the screen, you can check their newsletters about the migration. The birthing usually occurs in the Ndutu area in February. This is dependent on the rains in December/January timeframe. There is a mobile camping site near Lake Ndutu. Same area as the Lodge, so their news would be pertinent to your concern.
I've tried twice to visit Masai compounds and both were bad, but lots of others rave about them, so you have to decide for yourself. One time there was a crazy guy (Masai) and he controlled the whole experience. We took off on a run. The other time it was the flies, smells and the people trying to get our watches off of us and put their hands in our pockets.
We have done the hot air balloon on the Mara twice, and it is wonderful. I would do it in a heartbeat on the Serengeti when the migration is there. The only balloon website for the Serengeti I know of is at www.balloonsafaris.com. They just have the one in the central Serengeti at Seronera. Hope this helps. Liz

Sep 19th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Liz, that's good information!
Sep 20th, 2003, 06:20 PM

Can't wait to read your report of the upcoming trip. Based on feedback from you a while ago, I am in the process of planning my Tanzania mobile camping trip for next year! Oh, decisions, decisions, decisions ...
Sep 20th, 2003, 06:39 PM
LizFrazier

Susan Lynne-
And of course I will be anxiously awaiting your trip report and photo album. Right now I'm considering what I want to have named "Liz". Kavey?

Sep 21st, 2003, 04:19 AM

I will anxiously await hearing what you want named after yourself! Honestly, Liz, I am going to get to your photo album and sign it, I still have to figure out how to do it!!!
Nov 24th, 2003, 03:02 PM

Hello Greg:
Have you booked yet? I am a single budget traveller going to Tanzania in Feb. for a 7 day budget camping tour. Want to join someone to keep costs down. I Like Roy Safaris. Would like to hear from you. E-Mail [email protected]
Nov 25th, 2003, 08:04 AM

Jamielad: We will be using Roy Safaris for our semi-luxury camping safari next year. Good choice. We used them last year and had not one complaint about the service we received, quality of guides, price we paid, etc. Make sure you post about your budget camping excursion as I know some people are interested in doing that.
Dec 2nd, 2003, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

JamieLad... Unfortunately we are not returning until Feb 2006, so we can't help you for now. Greg
Jan 9th, 2004, 07:48 AM

We were in Tanzania the middle of January, leaving February 1. I don't know if things change dramatically later in February but we had a wonderful experience. Saw many animals (all of the big 5), had great weather, etc. Clearly, you really enjoyed your time as you are returning--we shall, too. If interested in some pretty good pictures and revisiting the various places in Tanzania, you might enjoy my website. http://www.janeandken.com/Tanzania_P...and_Words.html If you check it out, enjoy!
Jan 13th, 2004, 01:51 PM

My husband and I just confirmed a trip to Tanzania and Zanzibar for mid February and I'm so excited to hear that we've picked a good time. Now I know that we should pack at least 30 rolls of film. We are looking forward to the migration!

Search this Thread