Tanzania in August - Safari Advice

Apr 4th, 2014, 05:47 AM
Original Poster

Tanzania in August - Safari Advice

Hi All,

I'm planning a honeymoon in Tanzania and would love to go on safari there. I was looking into different options for an 8 day safari, and have proposed itineraries from Roy's Safari as well as Africa Travel Resource. I was hoping y'all could take a look and let me know what you think between the two!

Roys
01.08 - Tarangire Safari lodge.
02.08 - Tarangire Safari lodge.
03.08 - Serengeti Kati Kati camp.
04.08 - Serengeti Migration Camp
05.08 - Serengeti Migration Camp
06.08 - Serengeti Kati Kati Camp.
07.08 - Ngorongoro Sopa lodge.
08.08 - Ngorongoro Sopa lodge.
09.08 - After breakfast, with picnic lunches drive to Arusha

ATR
Fri 01-Aug-14 Arusha : Rivertrees
Sat 02-Aug-14 Tarangire : Mawe Ninga Camp
Sun 03-Aug-14 Tarangire : Mawe Ninga Camp
Mon 04-Aug-14 Ngorongoro Karatu : Gibbs Farm
Tue 05-Aug-14 Central Serengeti : Ronjo Camp
Wed 06-Aug-14 Serengeti Mara : Kimburu Camp
Thu 07-Aug-14 Serengeti Mara : Kimburu Camp
Fri 08-Aug-14 Serengeti Mara : Kimburu Camp

Thanks in advance for your help!

Mike
Apr 6th, 2014, 11:05 AM

ATR

It puts you further north in the Serengeti, in a better spot for the migration.

But on the last day you would fly back to Arusha or Kilimanjaro.

Congrats on your marriage.
Apr 6th, 2014, 11:56 AM

Great place for a honeymoon regardless of company in question. while have been at Gibbs Farm and a very nice place for an overnight might make for a very, very early start to get to N. Crater gate if intent is for early morning game drive as one also has to drive to the NCC Area gate and then drive up and around crater rim to crater access road. Might want to stay at lodge/camp around the rim for that nite.

Am not familiar with lodging on ATR plan so can not comment on value between the two itins.
Apr 6th, 2014, 01:57 PM

Replied to you on TA the pros/cons of the two.
Apr 9th, 2014, 02:34 PM

It may help us to help you if you told us a little bit about what your looking for. Is this your first safari? Do you mind long car rides? Is the migration a must? Is the camping experience your goal?

I used ATR and was very very pleased with their service from beginning to end and plan to use them again when I go back to Africa someday.

We stayed at both Rivertrees and Gibbs for one night each and they were fabulous and not very expensive in comparison to places in the serengeti of the same service and food quality. I wish I had more time at Gibbs to partake in their various activities around the farm (which I didn't think I would be interested in when I initially booked, but after getting there I wanted to do it all). So I wish I had scheduled it to be at the end of our trip after coming out of the crater as the prior poster is correct that it is about an hour from there to the crater entrance gate. We went from Gibbs straight to the Serengeti and then backtracked to the Crater. Since we went in March, we stayed in the southern Serengeti where the migration was at the time and only for 2 nights and I thought that was enough. It was great to see giant herds of wildebeast, zebra, and antelope, but two days was enough for us. Both of your ATR suggested camps are affordable which is great if you are planning on staying longer there. The migration camp suggested by Roy certainly looks nicer. ATR will customize to what you want. I picked a different serengeti tented camp than they originally suggested and it was fine with them. You could spend less time in the Serengeti by asking them about flight options in/out as the drive from where you will be is quite long. We stayed at Ngorongoro serena lodge on the crater rim the night before we descended into the crater so we wouldn't be caught in the "traffic" at the entrance gate that I have read about and they are right next to the decent road. The place was good for us because I wanted a variety of experiences in lodging in Africa (lodge, tented camp, and B&B/farm), and you can't beat the views of the crater from any of the lodges on the rim. Then we returned there for a second night, but we could have instead gone to gibbs afterward and stayed a night or two before flying home. We skipped Tarangire because it was kind of out of the way and we wanted to definitely go to the Serengeti. So we went to Manyara instead as it was on the way and spent 3-4 hours there and saw a good variety of animals there. My ATR guide didn't think Tarangire was all that exciting except for elephants which I saw plenty of in Manyara, the Serengeti and the Crater, but he could have been just saying that so I would be happy with my trip.
Apr 9th, 2014, 04:34 PM

Ngorongoro Crater is not to be missed if you are within 500 miles of it. Sopa Lodge is the place to stay for it.

regards - tom

Search this Thread