Tanzania: Heath concerns/questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are taking a safari in Tanzania at the end of May ('08) so I have started doing some research on the country. This will be our first time to Africa so we want to prepare to remain as safe/healthy as possible. I recently visited the CIA website because I figured they'd "tell it like it is".

http://www.cia.gov/library/publicati...k/geos/tz.html

One thing I took particular note of on the site was the section on major infectious diseases, labeled as very high risk (food/water borne, vectorborne, water contact). Obviously we will take preventative measures such as getting all the right shots, taking malaria pills, etc, but I am looking for some input from you savvy & experienced travelers on how concerned I should be. A few questions/concerns:

1. Malaria: Aside from taking the pills, what other precautions can I take to avoid contracting it? I've also heard that after contracting malaria, symptoms can be suppressed for up to one year. Yikes - How seriously concerned should I be about malaria?

2. There is a water contact disease called "schistomiasis" (what the heck is that???)... the CIA site had "2007" marked next to that. if I am staying at a lodge with a pool, should I avoid even taking a dip?

3. A friend of mine recently travelled to Ethiopia, and her guide told her not to even open her mouth in the shower out of fear of contracting a parasite from the water... should I be concerned about that in Tanzania, too?

I am not trying to scare anyone else who may be considering a Tanzania trip, but I am obviously concerned and just seeking some input/advice from those with the travel experience. (Certainly, I can talk with my doc, too.) Thanks, in advance, for any insight.

Old Jan 31st, 2008, 05:46 PM

Disclaimer: I am not a medical doctor; I just like dispensing potentially harmful "advice" anonymously over the internet.

1. Take your malaria prophylaxis of choice and cover up and use repellent between dawn and dusk.

2. I was worried about this too before my first trip because I have an overactive imagination. I'll let others comment, but this depends largely on where you're going/staying/swimming (parts of Lake Victoria?). I haven't heard of people getting it from pools in well-traveled tourist areas of TZ.

3. I avoid drinking shower water just in case. While I wouldn't fret myself to death over a tiny accidental ingestion, I probably wouldn't gulp it down either. Also, I don't normally drink the water while I'm showering.

4. Was the part about the CIA "telling it like it is" a joke?

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 31st, 2008, 08:14 PM

I agree with Leely's advice.

To be extra cautious, I have avoided pools. It's not always that warm and inviting anyway. Unless there is marine life to snorkel with, pools don't intrigue me. Lots of people enjoy the pool with no problelm.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 03:56 AM

Another voice here -

Take the malaria meds, use repellent on exposed skin from dusk-to-dawn, but not face or back of neck (wash off prior retiring); have your room/tent sprayed when you go out for dinner, not over your pillows though.

Bottled water is provided to brush your teeth... use it.

I'm a bath person, and with few tubs found on safari, my showers are quick; little water ever touches/gets near the mouth.

Few pools are heated and the air temp might be too cool, even during mild daytime temps. So dip, rather than swim is what most do. Or just enjoy the calm/quiet with a good book during your downtime.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 04:08 AM

I'm curious. Why not use repellent on face or back of neck?
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:18 AM

I was also worried about everything you mentioned -- it is hard to balance out those risks versus other risks we casually incur at home, such as car accidents.
Talking to a travel doc can help you put the risks in perspective.

I chose to be scrupulous about using bottled water (including for teeth brushing), and to remind myself not to open my mouth in the shower, I chewed gum -- for some reason that reminds me to keep my mouth closed.

Definitely talk to your travel doc about the risk of pools.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 05:25 AM

Deet is toxic. You don't want to breathe it in.

Use on arms/hands and legs/feet. Though you should be wearing long pants/sleeves and socks.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:05 PM

I believe you get schistosomiasis
from a parasite in fresh water. Don't walk around in any streams and you should be fine.

For malaria, use a high deet content repellent (deet is bad, but malaria is worse). From my research, I found Ultrathon brand seemed to be best. Bring a mosquito net for your bed; the mosquitos that spread malaria typically come out at night. And try to cover up as much as possible. Despite doing all these things in Tanzania, I still got a few mosquito bites (mosquitos LOVE me), but it's been almost a year since I got back, and no malaria yet.

Unsolicited Advice: Don't buy bottled water at a grocery store. Apparently they just bottle tap water and sell it. I learned that one the hard way. If you're on an upscale safari, they'll probably provide water though. Do bring a medicine kite with Immodium, anti-vomiting medicine, rehydration solution, and an antibiotic, just in case. I used all of those things on my trip (minus the antibiotic). Don't be too alarmed by that though. Alot of it could have been avoided if I'd received that tip about the water in advance.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 02:35 PM

You don't need to bring your a mosquito net; they are provided by the lodges and camps.
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:26 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone - thanks for all of your inputs already... some good advice. I like the gum-chewing idea in the shower. I may just avoid the pools.

We have booked through ADS (Africa Dream Safaris) and they will be supplying plenty of bottled water. They say that the lodges we will be staying at use bottled water to wash their fruits and vegetables (which I hope is true because i don't eat meat, if they don't then my menu options will get really limited really fast). Any extra precautions for a vegetarian?

As for the mosquito nets, we are staying in a mixture of lodges and tented camps. ADS sounds pretty buttoned-up with the details (why we chose to go through them) so I'll assume they'll offer the nets there as well.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:03 PM

Can you list the camps and lodges on your safari?

I cannot imagine them using bottled water for all food! What about the dishes? They will wash the orange in bottled water then cut it with a knife and serve it on a plate also washed in bottled water? Many times the plates are still wet after the washing!

Boiled water and filtered water are the most likely!

Do not be overly concerned about your health in Tanzania. You will most likely stay on the well-traveled tourist path. A very small percentage of people get sick on standard safaris.

Who is your ground operator? ADS is a USA-based agent and will not actually operate your safari.

Mosquoto nets are not available in all camps and lodges! Most tented camps will simply spray your tent during dinner.

Again, it depends on your ground operator who you can contact direct to check.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 11:24 PM

Greetigs from Tanzania and welcome to Tanzania as well .I have a serious problem with some facts which are given on various media tools .Yes I agree about Malaria is a major problem but if you will take your anti malaria tablets and you stay covered well there shoulf be no problem. One does not need to be so scared like this Country has no human being living here . It is always nice to take a precaution but trust me not everything that available in CIA facts is true .Water is terrible and especially from Lake Victoria .Do not try any water from the shower yes .Buy yout Kilimanjaro water all the time but do not be too scared.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 08:44 AM

"Scratch that; reverse it."

I said cover up between dawn and dusk; I meant, of course, between dusk and dawn.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
ley

I went on safari in Tanzania last April and not all lodges/camps have mosquito netting but I didn't find it a problem. Just use common sense and close windows/doors/flaps at dusk. If you suspect mosquitos, just ask for a bottle of insect spray. I was bitten a few times but that was due to not covering up properly before heading out to dinner and then sitting outside in the evenings.

I too am a vegetarian and had no problems - I ate salads and fresh fruits with no ill effects.

My safari was booked through ADS and they did a superb job. You should direct any questions or concerns you have regarding your upcoming trip to Michael. The service provided by him and his team is par excellence. And in response to climbhighsleeplow's comments, ADS main sales office is in the US but they have a full operations office in Arusha.
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:25 AM

ley

Thanks for the clarification but I am talking about the local outfitter who actually owns the cars and tents, employs the guides and camp crews and operates the safaris on behalf of the overseas agent.

Unless there has been a very recent switch, ADS safaris are operated by Unique Safaris based in Arusha.

Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 10:50 AM

George12

We went on safari last May with ADS. You will love it! It was our first time too, and I had some of the same concerns about health and safety. After the trip, I could see that I was probably more concerned than needed. Try to put your reading in perspective, these are things that "could" happen but are not likely. You could read the same type of things if you were researching visiting the US for the first time. I did rinse my mouth out a few times in the shower on safari because I forgot I was not supposed to but had no ill effects. You will always have enough bottled water for teeth brushing, as others have said use it. If I was doing it all over again, I'd do more reading on the Serengeti etc. and the wildlife and worry/read less about health and safety.

CAH
Old Feb 3rd, 2008, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Hello again, all. Thanks for your continued input.

Ley & climbhighsleeplow - I checked with ADS regarding who the ground operators in Tanzania were and they simply responded that they were... So, I guess I'm not really sure, but i have asked them to provide clarification around the netting situation anyhow. Also, was pleased to hear Ley had a good experience as a vegetarian and I won't have to pack too many granola bars. .

Tanzanian & CAH85 - thank you for your welcome and well wishes. Perhaps I have a bit of an overactive imagination and you're right, I should just be cautious/use common sense and concentrate on the more exciting aspects of trip planning. I am really looking forward to it!