Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Tanzania Embassy in London (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/tanzania-embassy-in-london-476536/)

RuthieC Sep 25th, 2004 08:20 AM

Tanzania Embassy in London

My better half went to get the Visa's for Tanzania yesterday & we discovered that the Tanzania Embassy has moved. So for anyone in the UK needing a Visa for Tanzania, the Embassy is now at 3, Stratford Place, London (just opposite to Bond St Tube Stn).

They don't seem to have updated the website or any of their paperwork - there's just a tatty sign on the door of the old building giving the new address.

phil16 Sep 25th, 2004 11:24 AM

Thanks for that as we'll be needing them soon and I was going by their website.
Does anyone have experience of postal applications?? Do they stick by their 5 day guideline?
Not sure whether to do it that way or get a visa service as we will need visas for both Tanzania and Kenya.

sandi Sep 25th, 2004 12:33 PM

While I prefer to have my visas prior heading out on any trip, you should be able to obtain both the Kenya and Tanzania visas upon arrival in each country - at least that is so for US passport holders - and assume should be the same for the UK!

Print out the Visa applications from the respective websites, complete them on the plane, (they request photos, but some posters have mentioned that the agents don't even bother asking for them - you do have your passport - but have them just in case) then just hand in with your money.

You can get this done at Nairobi, Namanga border, Kilimanjaro and Dar-es-Salaam.

Liz_Frazier Sep 25th, 2004 01:06 PM

Ruthie- I've forgotten or never saw the final itinerary and date when your upcoming trip to Tanzania happens. I've so enjoyed all of your trip report and Phil's photos and would like to dream along while you are there. Did you work in Ndutu Camp? I've wanted to go there for so long. Louise, the camp manager sounds so nice. I emailed with her for quite a while while we were planning our trip there for the calving of the Wildies. Actually for 2 or 3 years there.Maybe someday............Liz

RuthieC Sep 25th, 2004 01:30 PM

Liz,

Thanks for your kind words on the trip report and photos - the great feedback from everyone here is definitely an incentive for us to keep travelling, keep photoing and keep writing!

We decided not to go to Ndutu as the advice was that it's the wrong time of year to stay there. So our final itinerary is 2 nights at Tarangire staying at Kikoti, 2 nights Ngorongoro Serena and 4 nights Serengeti Serena. Not long enough, but very pleased we're able to do a second trip to Africa this year and only 4 months after the last one:):):)

(And dare I mention that, even though we are 18 days away from this holiday, I have already started thinking about next year. I looked at the Green Season specials Roccco has been talking about and also with Greendrake's wonderful journal with such captivating descriptions, I feel that Zambia is calling me. And I've just found that BA fly direct from London to Lusaka for under £500 return!!! )

Sandi, Originally I thought we would get our Visa's on arrival at Kilimanjaro, but my BH (Better Half) like's to have as much organised in advance as possible. So, as he had time to go to collect them it seemed like a good idea! Luckily I found a posting about the Embassy move on Thorntree, so it wasn't a surprise to him that they had moved, but I wanted him to confirm it before I posted anything here.

Liz_Frazier Sep 25th, 2004 03:05 PM

Aaaah yes! Four days on the Serengeti. Wonderful! I agree about Ndutu, not the best time although their website tells of animals all year, not the best without the migration. I soooo love the Serengeti. So vast. Makes my heart ache. Just a good Africa fix.
I agree that GreenDrake's report with the Bushcamp Co. is dream worthy. If you register on their website they will send you cute little one-liners every so often, just when you need an African reminder. :) :)
I shall anxiously await your return. Liz

sandi Sep 26th, 2004 05:28 AM

Ruthie - I'm like your BH regarding Visas, and on prior trips always had them before departing. It was very easy being in NYC as so may counsular offices can and do handle this. But Kenya no longer does this out of NYC, though Tanzania still provides this service (until they decide to discontinue doing so).

At least is good to know that for anyone who can't obtain visas prior, that it can be done on arrival.

Keeping current on the movement of various Embassies can be a challenge, especially if even their website isn't updated, so it was very worthwhile and thoughtful that you posted the current address for those in/around London.