Tanzania - Drive vs. Flying times

Apr 27th, 2005, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania - Drive vs. Flying times

Hujambo!!!
You have all been so helpful that I have actually booked a 12-day Tanzania safari in June!!! While I realize that it may be too late to ask some of these questions, I wonder if you knew the driving times (vs. possible flying times) from:

1) Kirawira to Lake Manyara
2) Lake Manyara to Ngorogoro Crater (we had to do it this way to stay in the Lodge)
3) Ngorogoro Crater to Tarangire.

Asante! (I'm up to lesson 4 of Pimsleur Swahili - do I sound excited???)
Howard
Apr 28th, 2005, 03:24 AM
sandi

cookndoc -

1) Kirawira to Lake Manyara should definitely be a "FLY" - you'd fly from the Grumeti airstrip to Lake Manyara airport...then a short ride to your lodging here. From Grumeti, depending on the passengers on board and their destinations, you might stop at Seronera (central Serengeti) then to Lk.Manyara. Total flying = 1 hr or a little more, depending on whether there is a stop at Seronera.

2) from Lake Manyara to the Crater is about 2-1/2 hr drive.

3) From the Crater to Taragire is about 4-1/2 hrs on mostly paved tar roads - there are no connecting scheduled flights.

Apr 29th, 2005, 04:09 AM
africa_lover

Hey Sandi and Cookndoc,

The actual driving time from Ngorongoro Serena, which is only 10min from the Crater Lodge , to the entrance of the Tarangire Park was 2h45m last year July.
we departed 8.10am from Ngorongoro , were at Tarangire gate at 10.45am, but then
it took as another 3hours to get to Tarangire Sopa for lunch, because enroute we stopped quite often to see elephants, eagles, dik-diks , mongooses....

From Kirawira to Ngorongoro Oldupai we drove 5 hours (stopped for a leopard, drinking lions, eland).

From Ngorongoro to Lake Manyara must be another 2-1/2hour drive.

So, if you drive from Kirawira to Manyara, it should take you 7 to 8 hours.

Apr 29th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Africa Lover,

Sorry to stray from the subject of drive times, but I noticed you mentioned you stopped for dik diks en route to Tarangire Sopa. I had never encountered such unskittish dik diks--in fact a whole family of them along the road--as I have near Tarangire Sopa. We too spent quite a bit of time watching them. Sounds like these tiny antelope continue to thrive and reveal themselves to guests in Tarangire.

Search this Thread