First episode of pictures from Kenya trip

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First episode of pictures from Kenya trip

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...1&y=3hf84e

First episode of Kenya pictures taken the week of January 23rd at Amboseli. I had all new camera equipment and I am still adjusting to digital over regular. There was a lot of dust everywhere I went due to the drought so some pictures aren't as clear as I'd like them to be.

I took my Canon Eos Rebel XT digital camera with 85 mm and 300 mm. lens, a 2 gig compact flash and for added safety (after reading of card problems on this website) I I also took two additional 1 gig cards. I had purchased a new Epson 2000 reader and every evening when I got back to my room/tent I would download the pictures from the flash card to the Epson, and then I could delete the pictures from the flash. I love this machine. It has a larger LCD screen and it makes it easier for viewing and deleting unwanted pictures than the camera itself. Every two or three days I'd plug the Epson in for battery recharge. Had no problems the first week. The second week I inserted the compact flash and got access failure message so I just started using another flash card. Another time I recharged the battery in the electric plug in the tent (being run by generator), and it went through the full two hour charge and the charge light went out. The next morning I got a battery dead sign. I was worried sick that all my pictures would be gone, but I recharged the Epson at the bar plug and it charged just fine, no loss of pictures. Really am loving this Epson and hope to learn more about it as I go on.

The dust in both Amboseli and Tsavo was tremendous because of the drought. Thus I will have my camera professionally cleaned next week and be ready for the next trip.

I did have one curious incident that I still haven't figured out and perhaps some of you camera experts can help me with this one. At one camp I had a visit of an old wild elephant bull that I had seen before. When I arrived he was standing about 15 feet in front of me, and not wanting to move or make noises I left my 300 mm. lens on. The first 8 - 10 pictures are heavily overexposed with that lens. I was sitting under a makuti roof (in the shade) and he was in the sun. I changed the lens to my 85 mm. and these pictures came out alright despite the same distance, lighting, etc.
If anyone has answers on this one for me I be grateful to hear about it. I am by no means a photographer. Usually just leave the camera on automatic all the time.

Hope you enjoy the pictures of Amboseli. I am still working on Tsavo and as soon as I get the trip report and pictures completed I'll post them.

Jan

Old Feb 12th, 2006, 08:54 AM

hi jan, took a look at these thanks. good ele shots. amboseli doesnt look as bad as i thought it would. but those palm type trees are much ruined arent they?
jan, thats no ice-cap- that ice is almost gone. i cant believe how much its changing everytime i see it since my first time in 2001. unbelieveable.
thx, d
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:19 AM

I second that TD. Since my trips from '03 on and from Jan's pics, the remaining ice coverage looks smaller each year. Such a shame.

Jan-
thanks for sharing your pics. Nice that you could sit on your veranda at Ol Tukai and view such an abundance of wildlife.

I am also contemplating buying the Epson 2000 prior to my upcoming trip but am hesitant. Don't want to risk losing any of my photos deleting them from the cards.

So overall were you happy with it?
And would you recommend it?
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...1&y=i5k7l4

The above is they key for the Tsavo pictures.

Dave:

Don't worry about the snow on Kili. It changes every time I am there. Some times it is completely covered on top and down the sides and some times there is very little snow/ice there. It all depends on weather and amount of rain they have received.

Divewop:

I would be all means recommend the Epson. I loved it. It was extremely simple to use. The only thing I will do differently is the next time I'll take a backup battery just in case there is a problem charging the battery the usual way. In all the places I stay they depend on a generator, and if there were a problem I would want the option of having the second battery.

I pupchased a Quantaray Pro backpack and it held all my camera gear - both lenses, SLR, video camera, Epson 2000, compact flash cards and instruction books and bag of medications. It worked great. I put all my video batteries in it also. A block of 9 batteries did cause some concern on X-ray so I just unzipped the bag and showed them everything in its own compartment and there was no further problem. However, the bateries did make the backpack a little heavier than I would have liked. However, I didn't want to chance having them out of my control in checked luggage because they are hard to find.

Go for the Epson. You won't be disappointed.

Jan
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 11:55 AM

Jan, thanks so much for sharing the piccies!
Old Feb 12th, 2006, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

kavey:

Thanks much. Some time I hope to have pictures as fantastic as yours.

Jan
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:39 AM

Jan,
Thanks for sharing your wonderful pictures. I don’t like fences, but it seems like Ol Tukai is an excellent wildlife experience even with a fence. I’m happy there are more pictures of babies than of dead animals. Particularly the baby ele in the swamp looks absolutely adorable. I can never get enough of pictures with the red earth of Tsavo and I’m glad there’s water in Aruba dam. That Air France bus looks “a bit” eerie. Sheldrick Camp in Ithumba looks absolutely lovely and I’m so jealous that you have a friend with big tusks.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:35 AM

Hey Jan,

Great pics of Amboseli !

Do you also have some pics of the Ol Tukai lodge you rave about?! I'd love to see what the place is like if you have some!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 05:50 AM

Jan, great photos. I also stayed at Ol Tukai, and I think I had the same great view. It looks like KWS needs to invest some money in the area drilling waterholes for the cattle to keep them out of the park, and maybe some waterholes for the animals within the park. From what I've heard from others, this park seems to be going downhill.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:21 PM

Felt as though I was in the midst of an elephant herd. Especially liked the young ones playing and nursing. Nice crowned cranes, such lovely birds. Thanks for sharing the photos.
Old Feb 17th, 2006, 11:26 PM

simbakubwa,
I just uploaded some additional pics of Ol Tukai to my Amboseli album (taken in Feb 2005) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-2l4zt5
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 04:07 AM

Thanks Patty,

Awesome! The place looks great!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:49 AM

Jan, well my aspirations are to take some pictures as lovely as some of Johan's! Always something to strive for!
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 08:44 AM
johan_belgium

Jan,

I really enjoyed your elephant pictures!!!

Greetings,

Johan

Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:06 PM

Jan,
That big tusker is amazing! Thanks for the photos of the Sheldrick Ithumba camp too. Looks like a very interesting option.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 06:43 PM

Jan - great pics. Did you get an answer from anyone via email as to why the shots were overexposed using the longer lens, but OK using the shorter one? I'd love to hear a "cure" for that, since I've had similar problems in the past when in the shade. We're off to Zambia for the first time in May 2006.
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

stamiya:

I haven't heard any explanations yet. Would love to know though so that it doesn't happen again.

Jan
Old Feb 21st, 2006, 06:25 AM

Wow - quite the gallery, Jan - just went through the Tsavo album. Thanks for sharing - it truly was nice to see the baby ellies! Also enjoyed the various antelope and seeing the general environs of Tsavo. It does look wonderful....
Old Feb 23rd, 2006, 04:11 PM

Jan,
I think I forgot to thank you for sharing your photos. I looked through them over a few days. And enjoyed it immensely!