Tanzania--a few extra days

Mar 9th, 2005, 01:52 PM
Original Poster

Tanzania--a few extra days

I have a few extra days in Tanzania, sept 27,05 to sept 30th. I will be in the south at Mahale, Selous, Ruhau and Katavi, and get into Dar the afternoon of the 26th. I have to be in Nairobi the night of the 29th. Sunvil Africa is doing my trip in the south, and I am on a research project in Tsavo as of the 30th--but I wanted to maybe do the crater??I camped in the bottom of the crater in 1984 for three nights, and we were the only people there....I am having trouble figuring out how to arrange a day or so --none of the AMerican companies will work with me for a few days...how do you guys contact the local groups?--would they want to organize a few days?? or could i just get to Arusha and have one of the crater lodges pcik me?? I cannot remember the distances...any thoughts would be of great help.
Mar 9th, 2005, 02:38 PM
sandi

Forget camping in the Crater, it is no longer allowed!

Unless there is a flight out of Dar to Arusha the afternoon of the 26th, you'll have to fly out next morning. If there is a late afternoon flight on the 26th you'll have to overnight in Arusha.

So figure you're not going to head to the Crater until the 27th. Being high season, accommodations are going to be limited and you will be hit with the single supplement. An alternative might be to arrange camping in the vicinity of the Crater (higher ground and it will be cold at 7,000' altitude), but there might be a minimum of 2-people required to make is worthwhile for the safari outfitter to provide a vehicle, driver/guide and whomever to setup camp and prepare meals.

If it's doable, you'll have just enough time to do a half-day tour, as 7/1/05 full day tours no longer permitted in the Crater; then be heading back to Arusha to be on your way to Nairobi (by road or flying?). I would suggest that if this can be done and the cost is not prohibitive, to not to even return to Nairobi, but do a road transfer at Namanga and drive from there to Tsavo. It'll be a rather long day, but you won't be backtracking - Arusha/Nairobi/Tsavo.

While I understand that you'd like to revisit the Crater, I'd suggest you consider just relaxing on a beach not far from Dar; saving lots of money and wear and tear on the body.

But if you want to see what might be available, doable, and costs, contact Roy Safaris at www.roysafaris.com

Search this Thread